Plans for 10 gallon nano

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
I'm in the process of starting up my first saltwater tank. This will be a 10 gallon nano...unless I change my mind again and convert my 29g FW into SW.

I have about 20 pounds of aragonite and 6 pounds of live rock that I just bought from another MFT member. I want to buy about 12-15 more pounds of LR (which will be over a period of time). I will, however, need to buy a few pounds to seed what I have, since it is dead.

I intend to just have soft corals and eventually a pair of clown fish.

I plan on using a Current Satellite CF fixture (I have an 80w fixture on one of my planted FW tanks).

Should I go with a Double Satellite at 80w or should I just use a regular Satellite at 40w? I've read that I need to have between 3-5 wpg for soft corals and don't want to go over board with 8wpg, which I have read is too much.

On the other hand, I've seen tanks of the same size with the same 80w fixture that looks great. There's too much misinformation on the net, though, so I wanted to get some MFT member insight.

Here are some of the other hardware that I plan on buying:

* Koralia 1 powerhead
* 50w Stealth heater
* Marineland timer
* Instant Ocean hydrometer (until I upgrade to a refractometer)
* test kit

Regarding the test kit, I have an API masterkit for FW. I know that some solutions can be used for either salt or fresh, and some can not. My question is which solutions in my FW kit can I also use to test my saltwater tank?

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Hmm no replies yet? I guess i'll be the first. Welcome to the SW side. ;)

That seems like a lot of rock for a 10gal, guess it depends on each pieces size and shape.

I'd go with the 80w personally. I think you'll like it in the long run, opening your choices of coral even if they are softies. Also more light can mean a difference of having to place the frags high on rock, or on the bottom of the tank. Just more flexibility.

As far as test kits, i know you can use the High Range pH test, not sure about the others. High range pH for sure.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Matt,

Thanks for the reply. I knew the pH was ok, but not sure about the others (e.g., nitrate and nitrite). I'm pretty sure the ammonia is different. I already have a KH kit that tests for both.

I think I will like the 80w better, too; I'm just trying to figure out what is best according to what I have read. Will 8 wpg be way too much? Probably not, but I want to know for sure beforing making the purchase.

You might be right about the amount of LR. I'm shooting for somewhere around 15 pounds. I doubt 15 would be too much. What I have at the moment is one that is about 2 pounds and two that are a pound each.

Now if I can just find an awesome piece of cardboard for the outer decor and I'll be in business...

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
I think I will like the 80w better, too; I'm just trying to figure out what is best according to what I have read. Will 8 wpg be way too much? Probably not, but I want to know for sure beforing making the purchase.QUOTE]

I'm definently the wrong person to ask there. I had a 250w MH over a 2.5gal and currently over a 10gal remember? ;)

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I think this is the page: Downloads; Pump and filter Instructions, Test Kit and DIY aquarium and pond diagrams.

I believe it's only the nitrite and nitrate. I don't think the ammonia works, but it may depend on whether you have the one-bottle version or the two-bottle version. I think you can use the KH for alkalinity, but you'll need to get a calcium test (both of these are only really needed when you start adding corals).

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
I might have to cancel my plans for this tank and instead convert my 29g freshwater. I called a buddy of mine last night and he said he would give me 50 pounds of live rock when he comes to visit in July.

I was getting tired of looking at those fake plants in there, anyway. After looking at the real ones in my 14g and 55g I just had a hard time looking at this tank.

So, we'll just have to wait and see...

thats it lotus! I think you will be happy with your choice. a 29 is a god tank cuz its not so big it runs your wallet empty, but not so small you lose interest or get angry cuz you cant keep certain corals. I think your downside is that the 29 is a taller tank, so u might end up having to get brighter lights, but its not too bad. Ive seen some awesome 29's, and i cant wait to see yours

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Here are few items I might be purchasing in the next few days for my 10g:

Satellite 20" 40w CF fixture--- $55.00 (might switch this out with the 20" 80w that I have on my FW tank).

Test kit- saltwater API ----- $18.00

Koralia Pump Nano ------ $26.00 (may consider buying a Koralia 1 or a Maxi-jet 600 @ $11.99)

Stealth heater 75w ---- $15.00

timer ---- $10.00

professional saltwater mixing kit ---- $90.00 (includes a refractometer, 200w Stealth heater, Maxi-Jet 1200, digital thermometer, H2O conditioner, etc.)

If I buy from Foster & Smith I will add a cleaning mat (getting tired of water spots on my wood floor and tired of using towels which never stay in one spot). With shipping I will be paying $267.41.

If I buy basically the same thing (minus the mat plus a Koralia 1 rathar than the Nano) from Big Al's I can get it for $246.11 (free shipping until August 1st).

Other than that all I need now is a stand.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Those DryMate mats are awesome! I have a couple of them, and they've saved a lot of problems.

You'll really only need a 50w heater for a 10g tank, unless it gets really cold in your house in winter.

I have a Koralia 1 in my 10g, and it seems fine. Not too much flow. I had a K2 in there, but the flow was too much.

You should be able to get a timer for less at a hardware store/Walmart, etc.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Those DryMate mats are awesome! I have a couple of them, and they've saved a lot of problems.

You'll really only need a 50w heater for a 10g tank, unless it gets really cold in your house in winter.

I have a Koralia 1 in my 10g, and it seems fine. Not too much flow. I had a K2 in there, but the flow was too much.

You should be able to get a timer for less at a hardware store/Walmart, etc.
Yeah, I had actually changed my mind about the 75w and decided to go with the 50w....just forgot to edit that out.

I have been going back and forth between the Koralia Nano and the 1. I'd rather have just a little too much than not enough. Thanks for the input.

As for the timers I have not found one that I like in any of the local stores; besides, they are only about $2 cheaper.

As for the mat I just hope it's something I won't get tired of using. I bought some of those thick rubber gloves that go up to my shoulders. I used them maybe three times and then stopped. I was getting chapped hands for awhile but haven't had that problem in a long time.

Thanks for the input!

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Actually, I placed my order yesterday morning and went with the Koralia Nano after much debate. I will be doing the 10g tank and will leave the 29g tank as a FW tank. I finished painting the used stand I got for free (thanks to Freeservers) and will start setting the tank up soon.

I was going to post an update yesterday but ended up transporting someone to kiddie prison and was in court most of today. Hopefully next week will calm down and I will be in the office when the UPS man comes to deliver the goodies.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
I received my order from Big Al's on Tuesday:

Current Satellite 20in 40w CF fixture
Test kit- saltwater API
Koralia Nano Pump
50w Stealth heater 50w
timer
refractometer
200w Stealth heater (for mixing water)
Maxi-Jet 1200 (for mixing water)
digital thermometer

Cost (w/ free shipping): $227.21

I found someone offering a free stand on Freeservers.com. $2.00 worth of paint and it looks almost good as new.

As soon as I buy a new surge protector and a bucket to mix my water in I'll be ready to buy some more live rock (plan to get the live rock this weekend). Other than that I have everything else to get started.

For the the time being I plan to use the new fixture. I have an 80w Dual Satellite that I can use if I decide to have more light.

I brought my camera with me this morning, thinking I might upload some pics that I took last night. I forgot to bring the USB cable, though. Guess I'll get some pics on here when I can...

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
I may do a 29g eventually, but for now the 10g is set up (as seen above). I'm going to the LFS today to buy some more live rock.

I'm also thinking about buying another Maxi-Jet, possibly a 600 or 900. The Nano doesn't put out as much flow as I would like it to. I know it is much more dispersed than other powerheads, but still I would like more current. I would use it to blow a current of water of the LR and use the other to create a current at the top.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
I bought 8.5 pounds of LR yesterday and added it to the tank.

Tested my water last night:

pH- 8.0
ammonia- .5
nitrite- .5
nitrate- 20

Tested saltwater without the LR (left over from the initial mix before addding to the tank) and ammonia and nitrite were the same results.