plan to try to spawn again

scubadude

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2005
carthage,MO.
this summer when it warms up i will be turning the AC off during the day and my RBPs will prob try to spawn again. i will set the fry tank up early this time and be ready! wish me luck.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Good luck!
It's nice to see some more activity in this section of the forum as of late. I'm still holding my breath and waiting to see some pics of these 'predatory' fish that folks keep talking about. :rolleyes:

Maybe I'll be able to contribute too once my salvini get bigger. ;)

BV :)

scubadude

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2005
carthage,MO.
i have high hopes. they successfully spawned last year, but caught me completely off gaurd. what really got me was i knew nothing about setting up a fry tank. i put gravel in it (kicking self) when the fry hatched they wriggeled to the bottom of the gravel. with not concievable way to get them out without crushing them they were doomed. i'm sure keeping the tank bare is the thing to do, easy to siphon dead eggs and fry out. all i need to buy is a heater (piranas busted it this weekend) and i plan to build my own airstone filter as the ones i have found seem to do nothing. BTW does any one know how they could bust the heater without being electricuted to death? anyway i wont be turning up the heat untill the fry tank is completely established. thanks for wishing me luck guys!

scubadude

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2005
carthage,MO.
i guess i need to get on the ball and get together the rest of my materials and get this fry tank established. the temp is at 76 and i am already witnessing spawning behavior.(building of nest, color change, and "dancing") i don't want to get caught by suprise again!

sweetpickles, i am not sure how many eggs they laid because there were hundreds. about 90% were sucessfully feterlized.