Plakat Bettas?

I keep seeing male Plakat Bettas -they look just like a female Betta - and really like the look of them and was thinking of getting one, but they're supposed to be more aggressive for fighting and all, and I was wondering if anyone has ever had them in a community tank, with like Guppies, Platies or even a female Betta? I have seen some males get alone with females for years without a problem, but I wasn't so sure about the Plakats.

Thanks.

Feb 27, 2009
Any fin variety of Betta splendens should not be housed with their own kind, except for closely supervised spawning sessions. The plakat is more closely related to the wild-type betta (much shorter fins) and has been known to be more aggressive from those I know that breed them.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I have never heard any discussion about Plakats being more aggressive. I do not know where you have seen male bettas getting along with females for years, because what I have read is that once the female lays eggs the male will drive her away and possibly kill her if the tank is not huge with a lot of vegetation - and by "huge" I believe they are talking hundreds of gallons. If you haven't already done so you should read up on breeding because it is a time consuming and expensive job and it is not done in a community tank. Another thing to consider is once you put a betta in a community tank you are limited in your selection of other fish you can introduce.

Feb 27, 2009
I have never heard any discussion about Plakats being more aggressive.
A friend of mine in Florida that breeds them has told me this. By far, not a scientific study, but has been her experience. The males do more damage to the females during courting and when they have spawned, she must be quick to get the female out or the attacks are swift.

Those from Thailand that she's imported from tell her it is because they are more like the wild-types that were originally bred to fight (how sad). It was not until they started breeding for all the colors and extra fins that 'calmed' them down as she is told. Just what she's been told and experienced, but every fish is an individual. She's had some pretty vicious double-veils too!

Any fin variety of Betta splendens should not be housed with their own kind, except for closely supervised spawning sessions. The plakat is more closely related to the wild-type betta (much shorter fins) and has been known to be more aggressive from those I know that breed them.
That's very interesting to hear. I was looking at buying one a few weeks ago and looked up on them and heard about the aggression but, there was no mention to why they were more so aggressive.

I have never heard any discussion about Plakats being more aggressive. I do not know where you have seen male bettas getting along with females for years, because what I have read is that once the female lays eggs the male will drive her away and possibly kill her if the tank is not huge with a lot of vegetation - and by "huge" I believe they are talking hundreds of gallons. If you haven't already done so you should read up on breeding because it is a time consuming and expensive job and it is not done in a community tank. Another thing to consider is once you put a betta in a community tank you are limited in your selection of other fish you can introduce.
Well, I did have a Crown Tail male and wanted to breed him with my female years ago and didn't know what I was doing. I put her in his tank that was about 2 litres. He wasn't interested in her, didn't chase her or anything and she wasn't worried about him either. I've also seen a few videos on youtube and in pet shops of them being together happily.

I think the reason behind why they were okay together is because she wasn't ready for him and he wasn't ready for her. I watched a breeding video and a breeder said that.

Yes I know. I've had a few or the plain males in with other fish but they didn't seem to like the filters in the bigger tanks, but the females don't mind. That's why I was thinking of Plakats instead.

A friend of mine in Florida that breeds them has told me this. By far, not a scientific study, but has been her experience. The males do more damage to the females during courting and when they have spawned, she must be quick to get the female out or the attacks are swift.

Those from Thailand that she's imported from tell her it is because they are more like the wild-types that were originally bred to fight (how sad). It was not until they started breeding for all the colors and extra fins that 'calmed' them down as she is told. Just what she's been told and experienced, but every fish is an individual. She's had some pretty vicious double-veils too!
I've heard they only kill the female if she goes after the eggs, but that's just what I've heard. I know a few people who import Bettas from Thailand also, who breed and sell them. All three of my males are from Thailand.

It's interesting to hear the colours and fins were what calmed them down. I've always bought from the pet shops, nothing too special, up until now and the three males I just bought are the most aggressive I've ever seen. Two of them are halfmoon and the other is a veil-tail. They are an amazing fish! It amazes me to see how many different colours and tails they can come in. I just want them all lol

Feb 27, 2009
Well, I did have a Crown Tail male and wanted to breed him with my female years ago and didn't know what I was doing. I put her in his tank that was about 2 litres. He wasn't interested in her, didn't chase her or anything and she wasn't worried about him either.
Are you saying you kept a male/female pair of Betta spendens in a tank (and only 2 litres?) together???

I've heard they only kill the female if she goes after the eggs, but that's just what I've heard.
I've never heard that.