Pirhanas

Oct 22, 2002
I have a 35 gallon tank with 2 red bellied pirhanas that are about 3" in length. Could i put a bala shark in with them or would they eat it? E-mail me back at brichtrev11@mediaone.net

R

ronrca

You mean you actually put a bala in with your pirhanas? Im surpised it last that long. :eek:
A bala isnt a 'real' shark. Shark isnt maybe the right classification for it really. The common names for Balantiocheilus melanopterus derive from the fishes shape and not the predatory character associated with their larger marine cousins. Bala has no chance with pirhanas. Pirhanas have razor sharp teeth. Ive heard of people getting little pieces bite off of their hands too. A bala does not have teeth (I dont think anyways).

And addition to all that, your tank is too small for a bala and the pirhanas. Balas can grow up to 12". Due to it's size and shoaling nature, a long aquarium (>1.5m) is recommended. Red Pirhanas can grow to 11".

Where do you live? US? Canada?

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Yes, always research your fish before buying. I think a 30 will eventually be too small for the Pirhanas anyway. You will start to see them losing eyes as they get too confined and fight.

Balas might have some teeth when young, but most def lose then as they age. They also get very poor vision and mine are now vegetarians.

Anyway, Birch, you posted on the 8th, why did you not take some of the suggestions that people posted?