Pink tip anemone moving

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
Why is my pink moving constantly?

I place him a place with high current almost in the path of the powerhead and is feeding him using blaster.

Yet he keeps moving.

Rohn

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I haven't had an anemone, but have read that they will move in the tank to the spot they find most appealing with regards to flow / light. Is he moving to the same spot each time? And does he look pale at all (bleached)?

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
Each week or so he would move to different spots in the tank. Few times he did that in two consecutive days.

Kind of mystery since I have not changed any thing (not even add any fish) since added the anemone.

Only thing I can think of is that I don't have scheduled lightening period. Some day I only leave the lights on for 3 or 4 hours and other I leave them on 6 to 7 hours.

Rohn

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
If where he is moving isn't a problem, I'd leave him be - otherwise he'll just keep roaming. He may not like that much current right in front of the powerhead.

Have you thought about grabbing a timer for the lights? They are very reliable, easy, and cheap (about $10).

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
I am no expert, no where close, I did have a RBTA one time in my old tank. I think I learned something about them, I am not sure but here's what happened to me. I put my Anemone in the tank, he moved around a bit until he found his sweet spot and never strayed form that spot for the most part. he would move under his rock at lights out in the tank, when the lights came back on the next day, out he would come till the lights went out again, then back under his rock. Nothing changed for about a year, he grew fat and happy and even split twice for me. Then I noticed that when I stretched out my water changes from one week to two weeks my zoas would grow better, if I stretched that water change to 2 1/2 weeks they grew even better. The dirty the water got the better my zoas would do. The down side, the Anemone didn't like that one bit, he started traveling all around the tank and ended up going thru my power head :( I think he was taking a road trip trying to find a better quality of water in the tank to sit up its new home. Do I know this for fact, naw, its just what I think. How is the quality of water in your tank, Nitrates and Phosphates, how often and how large of water changes are you doing in your tank.