Pineapple Sword Tail Pregnancy

Jul 31, 2012
Alright guys so my female pineapple sword tail is pregnant. I bought her and a male 40 days ago from big al's. They were in the same tank when i bought them. Im not sure if this is her first pregnancy or if shes just going through a cycle from being with males already. This is my first fish tank on my own other then childhood bettas. Its me and my finacee's tank and its a 45 gallon. Anyways about the sword tail...

I am new at this whole pregnancy fish thing and need some advice or suggestions. Im assuming if shes going through a cycle she should be popping them out any time now. Last week is when we figure out she was pregnant, shes always been a little bigger. We first noticed the black spots in her gravid spot (the fries eyes). So then we put her into the breeding box. Before we put her in she was eating less and the male would follow her around everywhere. Also some of the other fish would chase her around. Now thats shes in the box shes eating.

Last week we swore we could see the white birthing tube but now were not sure. Shes also still round not square. I can try to get some pictures up tonight but how far along to do you think she is and will she give birth soon? Thanks alot for any suggestions and advice.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
It can be hard to predict exactly when a livebearer will drop her fry, plus she may do so over the course of several days or weeks. In my experience, putting the pregnant mother in a breeding box actually causes them undue stress, leading to miscarriage or death. I'd suggest letting the mother remain in the main tank, and adding lots of fine-leaved plants and other hiding places for the mother and fry. While some of the fry will get eaten, some will survive, and you will likely have more fry come along again soon too.

Jul 31, 2012
She had them yesterday!! We didnt catch her birth but she was still in the breeder box. Funny cause i got home and looked at her and she didnt seam so big anymore. And i was going to take her out like you said, cause i didnt want to stress her out. I go to coax her out and my finacee see's babies! So we got her out and the babies are in the box. Only 8 little guys, so she must have ate some. But 8 is enough lol

Jul 31, 2012
Cool. She'll probably have more, so don't be surprised if you see some fry appear in the tank at some point...
Wow really. She does still have a bit of a belly but she was always fat. Her gills are still pink but shes doesnt have a gravit spot anymore. Think she will still pop some out. OH and all my males are going nuts over her again, just like when i first got her.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Livebearers can carry fry at different stages of development from multiple matings. Plus the males will attempt to mate with her repeatedly. In fact, sometimes you need to reapportion the ratio of males:females in a tank so the males' attention is spread among many females. Otherwise the females can be over-harrassed. A ratio of one male per three or four females is good.