pike cichlids

Justin

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I have had experience with a pike cichlid once in a 30 gallon tank, and it seemed pretty aggressive towards some of my more docile fish (shovelnose catfish, especially). I am getting a 90 gallon tank soon, and want to keep shovelnose cats and pikes. Would it be a good idea to keep a small group of pikes together, so they may diffuse their aggression amongst themselves and not so much their tankmates? I heard that works with other fish.
I love pike cichlids; they are very personable. My old pike cichlid would smim excitedly whenever it was food time, and would even eat shrimp pellets from my hand and let me "pet" it. I also like shovelnose cats, and I really would like to keep them together with no problems. Thanx

Justin

Disco

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
That Sounds like it should work. Or if you want to, you can get a larger shovelnose just large enough to intimidate the pikes, but not eat them, but if the catfish is too small, it will be killed by a group of pikes.

jak

New Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Hi Justin,
Wow, the pikes must be friendly over your way. Here in Oz, everyone I know keeps only 2 in a tank (usually a 6x2x2) and even then, they are separated with a bread crate. The males are usually pretty tough on the females and therefore have to spawn through the crate.
Good luck with your venture
Anita

Justin

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Thanks for the advise. At the pet store, they keep 4 or 5 pikes together, but one of them looks a little different. Its a little bigger, and has less distinct color. When I watch it, it seems to pick on the 3-4 smaller, more colorful ones. Is it a male or a female you think? These pikes also seem to get along with a few fingerling peacock bass, who are smaller and more docile.

jak

New Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Hi Justin,
My friend who has these has the joanna variety and the female is much better coloured than the male.She has a really red belly where he is rather plain - makes a nice change don't you think?? ;D ;D
So it could be the same with the ones you saw too. I am not up on Crenicichla so it's just a guess.
Anita