Pictures

J-pond

Small Fish
Dec 30, 2008
Wow! There are some great pics here.
I am going to try to add some of my tank.
Tell me what you think +/- is ok, i don't mind either way.

I am in the procces of adding more plants as well. I also want to add a substrate to plant them in. What do you think will be the best??

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
Goldfish & plants typically don't mix very well, just an fyi.

Sand is a great substrate, but the fish poop is a lot easier to see. If it's too thick, you can also develop anaerobic pockets. I think some pea gravel would probably work best with the decorative castle you have.

J-pond

Small Fish
Dec 30, 2008
OK, before it's said again, I know Goldies like to eat some plants. It's a trial and error thing.
What do you mean like quickcrete gravel??

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
Goldfish like to pick up rocks and sift through the gravel for bits of food. I think I would pass on the sand so they don't swallow it. Go with larger sized gravel like the river jewels or river jems. Just a thought.

Also . . .much easier to keep clean as well, which is a big consideration with goldfish.

J-pond

Small Fish
Dec 30, 2008
After all the great advice i got from the different forums, i decided to go with the regular gravel that i had (at least for right now). I am still looking into some kind of black substrate. In the meantime here are a few updated pics...

I had to take out the castle, Archie the redcap kept getting stuck in it. I also have 2 Anacharis bunches and 2 Ludwigia bunches comming today which i will add tonight. The water is a little cloudy because of an algee bloom last week, still working on getting it cleared up.
What do you think??