Pictures of 125G Malawi Cichlid Tank.

madhippoz

Large Fish
Jan 14, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Visit site
Testing out attaching pics here so bare with me.

I'm currently fishless cycling my Malawi Cichlid tank. I've got the Malawi rock AquaTerra 3D background installed. It looks fantastic, but I don't mind telling you that it was a huge pain in the ass to install.

I had to cut it into 3 pieces and then silicone it back together inside the tank.

I'm also using pool filter sand as the substrate, nice and cheap, like $7 for a 50lb bag.

Attachments

madhippoz

Large Fish
Jan 14, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Visit site
The AquaTerra 3D background is made out of foam. Because my tank has 2 support struts going front to back for extra strength I had to cut it in 3 pieces and then silicone it back together, while also siliconing it to the bottom and sides of the tank.

Let's just say there was a lot of swearing during the whole process, but at the end of the day, it was completely worth it :D

Adding a few more pics here as well.

Attachments

madhippoz

Large Fish
Jan 14, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Visit site
The tree root on the left hand side is plastic, but looks really good as well. I've added a few pics that view the tank from the side. All the equipment hides nicely behind the background, heater, filter intake and outake.

I'm running my Eheim ProII 2026 in this tank.

I also have 2 x Hydor Koralia 3's in there to create some awesome water flow around the tank.

I've since added my airpump and airstone to the mix so I'll be adding some new pics here soon.

Attachments

madhippoz

Large Fish
Jan 14, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Visit site
Some of the pics I already posted here, but there are a few new ones:
Malawi Cichlid Tank pictures by TheCathcart - Photobucket

The tree root decor I actually found at my local Big Al's store here in Calgary. But they have it on the online store too:
Hollow Root - Small - Decorations - Resin Ornaments at BigalsOnline

Thanks for the nice comments, I really wanted to spend time setting up this tank properly and setting up as natural an environment as I could. I'm not done with the middle part, I plan to add more drift wood and smaller rock piles over time to give even more hiding places.

It took a while to save up for the background, but it was worth it, plus, its very light compared to having to fill the tank with lots of natural rock. Heh its a big tank already and plenty heavy so adding tons of rock in it has always made me a little nervous.

I do have to buy a second light hood for it as the ballast died on the other one I had, so I've only got one at the moment, but the tank is cycling well. Can't wait to get those Cichlids in there :D