Pics of my Game Fish, Minnesota style

Hawk

New Fish
Jan 1, 2006
Marion, Virginia
seastaar88 said:
pike are definilty rediculously huge. when i worked for the DEP, we seined three out of one river that were over three feet long!!!

Thats not too big for a pike either, Ive seen then go over 40 inches and close to 50.

little pike and pickerel make great tank fish as long as you do not have anything else in the tank that you do not mind disapearing into the esocids stomach. They are highly predatory. They are a blast to watch feed though. Got to have a cover over the tank though or they will jump out. Had a little 6 inch one I was gonna put in a tank but he jumped out of the bucket I had him in.

Bullhead are cool for fish tanks too, I had a few sunfish and bullhead in a tank till I went on vacation and came back and the person who was going to take care of them for me obviously didnt.

Thats an awsome looking tank you have there on the first page though, looks great.

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
little pike and pickerel make great tank fish as long as you do not have anything else in the tank
i had a juv. pickerel, but removed it because i was too concerned abotu predation in my tank. when my LMB got too big, it took down two of my darters before i could get him out ;)

Hawk

New Fish
Jan 1, 2006
Marion, Virginia
seastaar88 said:
i had a juv. pickerel, but removed it because i was too concerned abotu predation in my tank. when my LMB got too big, it took down two of my darters before i could get him out ;)
That is a good concern when it comes to pickerel though, they have a large appetite and are not too choosy in which of your fish to eat.
I never realized that LMB were that agressive too, good info to know.
Im hoping to set up a better native tank come spring and the fisheries guys are out sampling more.

Gamefishin

Small Fish
Oct 27, 2005
Large mouth Bass are very aggressive but small mouth bass are even more aggressive. I had a crappie and my LMB harrassed it so much that the crappie started to get ICK or whatever from stress and died.

Hawk

New Fish
Jan 1, 2006
Marion, Virginia
You are gonna need some pretty cold water to keep those species alive, maybe not the sticlkebacks but the trout/salmonids/char family all liek cool to cold water to keep them alive, at work we have a chiller on a fish tank just to keep some trout alive to show the public.

True, a chiller probably would be required, even with the relatively cold climate here.

I don't think I'd actually keep Char though; around here, they spend the summer in rivers, and the rest of their lives are spent in saltwater, like salmon. I think the "call of the wild" would cause a great deal of stress to them, when they can't reach salt water.

Trout would still be cool though...