pewter

Aug 23, 2005
bellaire, ohio
i have a small pewter trophy id like to put in my aquarium, if i boil it and prepare it properly, i was hoping not to have any problems, has anyone ever tried this?

Aug 28, 2005
Missouri, USA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pewter

Pewter is a metal alloy, traditionally between 85 and 99 % tin, with the remainder consisting of 1-4 % copper, acting as a hardener, with the addition of lead for the lower grades of pewter and a bluish tint. There were three grades: Fine, for eatingware, with 96-99 % tin, and 1-4 % copper; Trifle, also for eating and drinking utensils but duller in appearance, with 92 % tin, 1-4 % copper, and up to 4 % lead; and Lay or Ley metal, not for eating or drinking utensils, which could contain up to 15 % lead. Modern pewter mixes the tin with copper, antimony and/or bismuth, as opposed to lead. Bismuth and zinc can also be added to pewter.
Zinc, Copper, bad. Lead, likely not enough will leach out to cause a health issue for fish. Would not recommend for aquarium decorating.

Although... one has to equally inquire as to the origin of metal used in plant weights. Mass is irrelevant in matters such as these. Exposed surface area and composition are the determining factors in how much metal is leached into the water.

Answer the question of plant weights and you'll answer the question in regard to the safety of pewter.

Aug 23, 2005
bellaire, ohio
eh i thnk i'll just keep searching. i only have 2 convicts in there, but if they died over a stupid decoration,id be salty. its a pewter dartboard is why i was wondering, the tank is in my dart practice room, i was gonna do a lil theme for the tank to go along with the room, but havent had much luck on my search for a small plastic dartboard. i also thought of just covering it in silicone but im sure itll just look like a big white booger when im done. thank all for the insight.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
I recently bought some envirotex lite to coat some dried bamboo for my malaysian tank. I got it at Michael's arts/crafts store in the glue/adhesive section. It's supposed to be aquarium-safe according to the bit of research I did on it. It better be.
You could also make (or have a crafty friend make) a small dartboard from polymer clay. I don't know if it'd be inert in tank water or not, might still have to coat it. Could be worth some research time, though, you can make just about anything out of that stuff.