petsmart bichir?

Jun 3, 2009
B.C.
hey im looking into getting a bichir a live on vancover island and i went to petsmart and there was a section(emty of course:()of dinosuar bichirs would anyone know what type of bichir they actually are because i've heard that ps screws up the names of fish alot and i've never heard of a dinosuar bichir closest thing i've heard of to that is a dinosuar eel.

also i'm looking into getting a senegal bichir or armoured bichir anyone know were i could either get one on the island or get someone good to ship me one? unless the "dinosuar bichir" turnes out to be a senegal or armoured bichir.

zigzag131

Large Fish
Apr 10, 2009
i dont know anything about Bichir but ill try to help using google =p lol i googled dinosuar bichir and this is what i got i saw where it said that the dinosuar bichir is also called the senegal bichir. but dont take my word for it try to get the scientific name for it and look on the internet

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
hey im looking into getting a bichir a live on vancover island and i went to petsmart and there was a section(emty of course:()of dinosuar bichirs would anyone know what type of bichir they actually are because i've heard that ps screws up the names of fish alot and i've never heard of a dinosuar bichir closest thing i've heard of to that is a dinosuar eel.

also i'm looking into getting a senegal bichir or armoured bichir anyone know were i could either get one on the island or get someone good to ship me one? unless the "dinosuar bichir" turnes out to be a senegal or armoured bichir.
dinosaur is the senegal. look in my signature and it has the technical name

soozy

New Fish
Jul 26, 2009
I have just aquired an Albino Bichir, not sure what "latin" name is for these guys. A friend was moving and she couldn't take him and a few other finned creatures with her so I lucked out. I have also a beautiful Weather Loach about 4 - 5 inches long, he/she is amazing. I love these little guys. Anyway back to the Bichir. I don't know much about them, only what I have read on line so far. But he/she is quite something. I ahve been feeding him/her some Bloodworms and baby guppies, but I want to stop doing that as I raise quite nice Guppies. I have heard everything from beef heart to "store bought shrimp meat"? Can anyone give me a little bit more help as to what else to feed him so he will be happy and healthy. I may have to find him a home one day, but until then he/she rocks as doesn't seem to bother my Miners and Black Skirt Tetras. They are totally freaked tho'.
Thanks

Feb 27, 2009
I ahve been feeding him/her some Bloodworms and baby guppies, but I want to stop doing that as I raise quite nice Guppies. I have heard everything from beef heart to "store bought shrimp meat"? Can anyone give me a little bit more help as to what else to feed him so he will be happy and healthy.
Carnivore pellets or sticks are better nutrition than live foods. Also, keep in mind that you risk introducing disease if you buy live feeder fish. The culls from your own guppy stock would be fine as a treat if you keep healthy fish (assuming you would!). Hikari makes a lot of great products for the carnivores, even those that have refused anything but live foods in the past.