Perfect Setup?

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Don't worry your post will get seen, not everyone uses the new posts section, i don't. And a lot of people usually are in bed around 1am...

With that said, its hard to say. What size discus? Adult discus? 10gals per fish, meaning 50-60gal. Any less gallonage and you will have to do water changes very often. More gallons is good. Substrate i prefer bare bottom or sand, easier to clean. All the rest are very minor aspects that really come down to personal preference and depend on how much maintenance you will want to do. You don't need fancy equipment to keep discus, just some TLC and clean water. Plants require more fancy equipment then discus.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
A lot of people run fairly bare tanks for discus. From my understanding, their natural habitat has a lot of vertical roots/wood, so either vertical plants (vals and swords seem to work) or something like thin manzanita will help them feel more secure.

In my tank, I use 60/40 tapwater/RO water, but I don't intend to breed.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Well lots of factors play into this lol. What size tank? Stand with the tank or building your own? I guess you are going planted? You can find lots of deals on tanks on craigslist these days so its hard to estimate hardware.

The discus can run anywhere from $20 each to $150 each. Depending on size and strain you get as well as where you buy them from.

I guess to give you an idea this is "about" what i spent on my 55gal discus tank (Non planted):
Tank/stand/canopy used from LFS - $200
Sponge filters - $8
Air pump for sponge filters - $20
Heater - $16
8 Discus - $300ish

Thats what like $544ish..you can see the fish were the most expensive. But still thats about $40 a fish which is a very decent and fair price for 3-4" fish of good quality. This is all not including plants, substrate, etc. Mine is a VERY basic setup. If you do stuff like, build your own stand, or get plant clippings from someone else like a friend or club member in the hobby you can really cut costs down. Look on craigslist you might be able to find some deals.

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
The only exception to simply using tap water is if it's extremely hard. Mine comes out @ 150-200 ppm CaCO3 (roughly 9-12 degrees) with a pH of 7.6-8.6 all depending on the time of year.

I would test and find out first.

Personally for 5 - 6 discus I like 90 gallons. They have that little bit more hight (still manageable though @24") that looks soo good with discus. :)

Chris

Edit: sorry... didn't see there was a whole 'nother page.

I'm pretty sure on going a 55gal tank non planted and no substrate until older. I'm on debate on whether or not to build the stand. New question are sponge filters the best for discus? And my tap water is good quality for the most part. C-Man I know it's alot, but that's why I'm just wondering. Sorry for being vague. I really want this to actually happen. I've got over three hundred saved up for fish and 0 for the savings. Mwhahahaha pretty ring!!!!!(there goes that keeper idea). When I do eventually put in substrate what do you guys reccomend?