Penguin Bio Noise

madpad

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Hey guys Im on day 2 of the cycle. My question is does the penguin 330 make a sound like coffee brewing? Never having a filter it makes you wonder if you got it setup right. Is this the normal noise for the impeller assembly?

D

discusaquarium

is it pumping water out? i also have a penguin330 and it makes no noise at all.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
If it's not pumping out water then it's probably because you don't have water in it. Mine did this when I first got it. You need to pour some water into the part behind the filter pad until it starts running.

If water's coming out then it's probably not a good filter! ;D

madpad

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Water is pumping fine. I filled the filter box almost to the top ,so I know theres water in it.Ill check tonite when I get off work.

madpad

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Filter Brand new. Im going to unplug tonite and double check everything. The short end of the tubing(it has these little bumps) goes into the housing correct?

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Another thing that happens when mine starts to make noise is the fact that the intake tube is not all the way in. You should try and push on that some more. I don't know though. Keep us posted. ;D

scrimman

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.caprok.net
I think it might be cavitation, which is little air bubbles caught up around whatever's turning.  If that's what it is, it should go away naturally.
Still, I'd check the thing first to make sure you don't just have a lemon.

madpad

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Hey Guys thanks for the help , it seems to be okay now (just a little hum) I took it out and checked everything and put it back together. Maybe it needed to run for awhile. I think if anything it might be the intake valve and where it sits.

sharkbait

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Madpad,

Typical causes of noises would be, as Ryan stated, the intake tube not in properly or something caught in the impeller.  If water is being pumped, then it's most likely something caught in the impeller.
Once the impeller gets a little coating of slime it should operate smooth as silk.  

Kristin

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
my filters all make a little noise, each kind of filter is a little different, but it is mostly a buzz. not as loud as the air pump. that is normal.