Pearl Gourami Tankmates

Pick as many as you want........ If I missed something suggest it below........

• Other Gouramis - Blue or Gold (females only !!!)

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Tetras - Neons, Bloodfins ....

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Rasboras

• Cherry Barbs

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Rams

• Cories (12)

• YoYo Loaches

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Rainbow Shark (only 1)

• Glass catfish

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
May 11, 2003
Canada
I was just thinking about making a totally new tank when I get my new place (let my brothers inherit my old ones) and was thinking of something along these lines:

+ 90 - 100 gal planted show tank
+ A school of Pearl Gouramis as the main feature of the tank (at least 6)

Can you guys suggest the best tankmates......

Thanks guys and gals....... :)

Last edited:

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Hi, I have quite a few of your fish on my checklist in my 38gallon marsh tank, specifically:

2 Male Pearl Gouramies
5 Phantom Tetras
6 Glolite Tetras
5 Neon Tetras
4 Albino Cory Cats
1 Yoyo Loach

I am not sure a school of Pearls will work. With my 2 male pearls, one is constantly chasing the other out of his territory, which is 90% of the tank! He is not damaging his brother, but he does not like to share, and gouramies are not really a schooling fish IMO.

If you can find some females, maybe 3 females and 1 male pearl might work-out?

The pearls pretty much pick on each other, and mostly leave my other fish alone.

My yoyo-loach is also very territorial, bulling the cory cats out of the way but again not really hurting them.

Its funny, when I had my 2 pearls (young adult sized) in my 10 gallon, they got along fine, it was when they got more space that one got more aggressive than the other suddenly.

May 11, 2003
Canada
Thanks for the info Iggy....

I'm under the impression that if you have several Pearls in tank they wouldn't school, but they wouldn't fight either......

I thought they were the most docile gouramis....

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
They are.. sorta!

Pearls are awesome, but territorial like other anabantids. I am still tempted to trade of on my Pearls for something else, just so the one I have left feels less threatened.

I think Pearls are less aggressive when crowded, just like cichlid males, or a bunch of female bettas... the less room they have the less room they have to fight over it seems. But I don't like the idea of crowding any fish long-term.

Leopardess

Superstar Fish
I do have two males. They ignore each other a lot of the time and occasionally seem to cuddle. They always feed side by side, though, and I have *never* witnessed any bad intent from either of them to the other.

You can have several of them in appropriately size tanks, but obviously you need some females to disperse the "aggression." With six of them, I'd use 3 and 3, or if you can stand to have more females, 4 females and 2 males.

Here is a tank that uses several pearls...

Out of your list of choices, I'd choose neons, cories and rasboras. Dwarf gouramis are out, IME. My little dwarf gourami is the only thing the pearls did not jive with. I've got a cherry barb too and he's cool with them and vice versa.

I dont think the glass catfish would look nice with the pearls, but im sure they'd get along. I also think the rams would end up being "equals" in terms of being the centerpiece fish, so I'd avoid those too.

I think scissortail rasboras would make a great contrast, being that they are silvery and thin. Neons/cardinals *always* look nice in schools, esp, against pearl gouramis.

I think Panda cories are the cutest...and (this sounds silly) when they are out near my pearls, they just look like they match:D

ScubaSteve

Large Fish
May 11, 2003
Canada
Thanks for the feedback Leopardess....... :D

- I'd probably opt for the bloodfin tetras for the silver contrast and besides I can't find scissortails around here...

- I wouldn't mind going 2 males and 4 females or even 3 males and 5 females.

- My fav cory is Juli or Schwartzi. I also like Pandas too. I like the band on their eyes. I'm not really a big fan of pure albino fish.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I'd go with the rasboras. We recently got some espes/lambchop rasboras which are really cool. Harlequins are nice too. I think if you're going for pearls and Julii cories, you may as well go for a color scheme ;)

We also recently got some Sterbai cories, which are absolutely gorgeous. I think they would look wonderful with pearls.

Aug 1, 2011
hay leopardness , i want your opinion , in my 15 gallon aquarium i have 3 neon tetra , 3 columbian tetra ,and 1 bolivian ram, would you say that my tank is overstocked if not what other fish could i add in there

Feb 27, 2009
The Fish Dude, this thread is over 7 years old, and "Leopardess" hasn't posted anything in almost 5 years. Might be better to start your own thead and ask others about your aquarium. And post pics!