Parasitic Worms

GillyP

New Fish
Feb 10, 2008
Hi,
Last weekend I bought a turquoise discus as a new addition for my tank, which was looking a bit sad with one discus, a clown loach and 4 tetras. She (he?) is currently in a quarantine tank. I noticed that every now and again there is a huge long white worm like poop hanging out (about 7cm!) which eventually drops off and looks like it might be a tape worm or something (before going in the filter) Can you recommend any treatments that will kill only the worms and not my fish? The fish is otherwise looking good and feeding well.

sphed

Large Fish
Feb 14, 2007
use metro + and prazi pro but not at the same time. If it is parasites use the metro + or pure metrodizanole. Mix it with food and feed it to your discus. Prazi Pro will kill tapeworm. Both medications are harmless and safe to use in planted aquaria. Some people who own discus use this medications even when there are no signs of disease. Very good stuff to have on hand. Good luck.

val

New Fish
Jan 27, 2008
Sounds like hexamita.
Contact a local vet see if you can get some Metronidazole 400 to 500 mg per 10 gallons for 5 days.
Raise the heat in the tank to about 90-92 degrees, and do 50% water change per day before adding more meds.
You can treat longer if needed.