Painting Plexiglas

bunker_1

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2008
Cincinnati
I am going to use plex as a tank divider for my angel tank. I was wondering if anyone knows a safe way to paint it? I have seen ways to paint other things, but not really anything on plex.

Any ideas??

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
It may, but I know plenty of angel breeders who don't paint it.

If you want to paint it look for what ever paint is used for the inside of a tank. I forget what it's called but I think it's for marine purposes. Someone else should know what it's called.

bunker_1

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2008
Cincinnati
I guess I should try it with out the paint and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't, then I will worry about it. I just wanted to get some infor before I get home.

Thanks Pure and congrats again on the pic of the month!!

Rayneuki

Large Fish
May 29, 2008
Memphis, TN
It's potable water tank paint. It's used to paint the inside of water tanks for cities and stuff. Not poisonous in the least. I don't know if it'll work on plexiglass but it's worth a try.

Would some sort of plastic work? Like using a dark plastic divider? So that it's not see-through-able for the fishies.

Last edited:

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
HMMM..thought you were getting some Discus..what happened there? I would think paint would peel of plexiglass easy after being submerged for a while which could be bad if a fish decided to eat it, I would go plain..or paint a small piece and submerge it for a while to see what happens.

bunker_1

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2008
Cincinnati
I am still working on the Discus. I need to get some 29g tanks for pairs. I figured that trying this with the angels would be better than trying it with discus.

We are FOR SURE getting some, but I have a ton of work to do before.

BTW, we had a great time at Ockoberfest Zinnzinnati