Painted glass tetra behaviour

dax

Small Fish
Mar 27, 2006
Canada
I have painted glass tetras and I noticed that they are chasing each other around, I dont know if it is playful or bad. I thought Tetras were pretty easy fish to have. I havent noticed any ripped fins or anything like that?

dax

Small Fish
Mar 27, 2006
Canada
I'll watch em hopefully everything will be okay, I had to remove my odessa barbs from my tank cause they killed another fish. I try to be selective in choosing good tankmates for my fish.

Im watching them now and they are swimming in circles chasing each other it look like a dog trying to chase his tail.

What are signs of streesed out fish? (just so im sure)

Last edited:

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Saying tetras are easy to have is like saying felines are easy to keep.... Tetras range from the mild embers to the dangerously fractious piranha.

Are these glass fish or some sort of tetra? Ah, the joys of "common names". What is the scientific name of your fish?

dax

Small Fish
Mar 27, 2006
Canada
I did not know that the "painted" meant dyed. I just thought thats what there were called. Oh no, i feel horrible for buying these if the were dyed. I dont suppory dying of fish.

anyways im not sure of the scientific name for the fish but i do now its a tetra it almost looks like a silver dollar buy the size of a quarter..

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
Dont be too hard on yourself for buying them, you didnt know they were dyed. I made a similar mistake when i first started buying fish. i bought four fruit tetras and was considering buying painted glass ones as well. We all learn along the way :)

Owise

Small Fish
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles,Ca
tessalion said:
Dont be too hard on yourself for buying them, you didnt know they were dyed. I made a similar mistake when i first started buying fish. i bought four fruit tetras and was considering buying painted glass ones as well. We all learn along the way :)
I think that's the only way the LPS can sell Dyed fish is to (newbie) people not knowing what they are getting or just don't care :(

Aug 14, 2009
Corbin, KY
When I got my Painted Glass Tetra, Vango, I did not know how they "painted" him. I think that is very sad. But, I hope Vango will be fine. If he looses his color, I'm not going to be mad. I was wondering if he is eating. I have him in with 2 GloFish Danios (Dani & Glo). I have not seen him eat, but he is very shy. Is there something else that he will eat. I have the flake food that the pet shop told me to get. Any help??? Thanks.