Overflow Box Question

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
I really want an external overflow box on my new tank. I got to checking into this and I found a type of a external box called a Coast to Coast overflow box. All of the systems I saw on youtube used a 3 overflow pipe system called a Bean Animal system. The name from what I read was named for the guy that invented it, that was his online screen name, or something like that. Anyway, this 3 pipe system: the main overflow pipe drain to the sump is a true siphon and does all of the work draining water to the sump, the second pipe is also a drain pipe to the sump, its a back up for the true siphon pipe and is a bit taller than the true siphon pipe. The only time this pipe is used is if the true siphon get blocked or clogged and keeps your tank from overflowing the display tank onto your floor, the third pipe is the return pipe. At least thats how I think it works. I like the idea of having a coast to coast overflow box, it skims alot of the water off of the top of your display tank, not sure I like the true siphon pipe idea though. My question: could I have this type of overflow box on my tank but use two Durso type drain pipes and one return line.

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
We are going to go with just a regular overflow box. Its sets inside the tank a few inches, the rest of the box sits on the outside of the tank. I am guessing that having the overflow box sit a tad inside the aquarium gives the box some support when it has water in it. The return lines won't be connected to the box, they will on the back panel on either side of the box about half way between the box and the side of the tank. Pretty niffty design.