Overfed :(

Jul 7, 2009
I overfed my goldfish and they started to all die, at first they were at the bottom of the tank ignoring their food. 2 days later, they all tipped to their sides but they were still breathing, after an hour they died. Can you please give me some advice to what to do if this happens. I had 2 orgininal and 4 fan tails.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Sounds like ammonia poisoning, not overfeeding to me. Take a look at the link in my signature and read up on "cycling a tank." This is likely your problem and will continue to kill your fish unless you resolve it.

MrNiteOwl

Small Fish
May 15, 2009
Virginia Beach, VA
Did you have all those Goldies in the 10g? If so, I second MissFishy.... For your lionhead.... I would really recommend getting atleast a 20g tank and some very good filtration going.... Goldies produce a lot of waste and I would recommend having a good power filter for that small of a tank.... if you are going to keep him in the 10g.... keep up with the watere changes as well.... Try feeding once a day if not every other day.... or both.... I don't have them on a feeding schedule.... I'll feed randomly.... fish are scavengers by nature....

Hope this helps.... *thumbsup2 :D

Jul 7, 2009
i actually have 15G tank (typo), and i have an aquaclear powerfilter 20. i only feed it once a day and i do water changes every 2 weeks. and thx for the help everyone so far.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I think the bigger problem is the bio load, with your ONE goldfish, you should be ok. Make sure to monitor the ammonia/nitrite levels and do weekly water changes. Definitely do not add any other fish to the tank. Goldfish need more room than other fish since they have a large bio load.

MrNiteOwl

Small Fish
May 15, 2009
Virginia Beach, VA
For Goldies.... it's recommended to have the double rated filtration.... but keeping up with the water changes should keep your lionhead happy.... but please don't add any other fish in there unless you get a bigger tank.... if you do want to add something else.... I would suggest looking at snails and shrimps.... and then again one or two....

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
i actually have 15G tank (typo), and i have an aquaclear powerfilter 20. i only feed it once a day and i do water changes every 2 weeks. and thx for the help everyone so far.
> 1 goldfish in a 15G tank is suicide. You were way over stocked and the high ammonia output from your fish caught up to them. 1 goldfish for a 15G tank is plenty. I would still be doing 25% water changes every other day till your tank is cycled, and you should be doing water tests almost everyday to see your progress. When the tank cycles make it weekly water changes of 30% or so.

Jul 7, 2009
> 1 goldfish in a 15G tank is suicide. You were way over stocked and the high ammonia output from your fish caught up to them. 1 goldfish for a 15G tank is plenty. I would still be doing 25% water changes every other day till your tank is cycled, and you should be doing water tests almost everyday to see your progress. When the tank cycles make it weekly water changes of 30% or so.
i just tested the water and the pH is 7.4 and ammonia is 0 and the tank has been running for over a week already with the fish in it (let the tank cycle for 3 days)

Feb 27, 2009
i just tested the water and the pH is 7.4 and ammonia is 0 and the tank has been running for over a week already with the fish in it (let the tank cycle for 3 days)
If the tank has only been set up for a week, you should be seeing ammonia. If you can, have a local fish store test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Or better yet, get a kit like the API Master kit (the drop kind, not strips). BTW, just letting a tank run with a filter on does nothing to cycle it.

Jul 7, 2009
If the tank has only been set up for a week, you should be seeing ammonia. If you can, have a local fish store test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Or better yet, get a kit like the API Master kit (the drop kind, not strips). BTW, just letting a tank run with a filter on does nothing to cycle it.
its been past a week already and there are no signs of ammonia and yes i put that cycle stuff in the tank before i put my lionhead in there. my test kits is the drop kind too

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Exactly what "cycle stuff" did you put in the tank? Some of those products (most of them are worthless) can even throw off your test kits so that you won't be getting accurate readings.

vahluree

Medium Fish
Jan 18, 2009
Euless, TX
I just can't believe a fish can die so quickly from simply being overfed!! :eek:

Ammonia is only one part of the equation. Without nitrite and nitrate readings, you cannot be certain that your tank has completely cycled. Can you post those values? If you take a sample of your water to your fish store to be tested, have them tell you what the actual values are and write them down. Don't just let them tell you your water is "good." That tells us nothing! :)

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Nutrafin cycle won't do a thing for cycling your tank. A waste of money IMO. The reason for this is that bacteria is living, think about it, living bacteria isn't going to sit for months on a room temperature store shelf and still be alive when you put it in your tank. The only bacteria supplements I've heard of actually working are ones that you buy refridgerated at the store and add immediately.

You really need to get your water tested, focus on your ammonia and nitrite levels. I would stop adding the nutrafin (maybe someone else can chime in here, is this one of the products that throws off test kits?). A basic water conditioner that removes chlorine and chloramines is fine.

big54bob

Superstar Fish
Dec 20, 2006
On my office chair playing Runescape
Is that your lionhead in your avatar cuz he looks really pretty. His wen is starting come out really nice.

Slap that eheim filter on the 15gal. It will help with maintaining the crap the lionhead makes.

Do WEEKLY 50% or more WCs. Check amonia, nitrate, and nitrite everyday.
I have a off topic question .

What are you feeding him?