oscars?? jack dempsy?

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
ok so im thinking about getting this 60 gallon hex tank

I was thinking about keeping a couple oscars in there.. but Im worried it would be big enough. Can anyone suggest something else that would be equally as cool as oscars?

I dont want to plant the tank...

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Re: oscars

Some people are happy with 2 oscars in a 60 gallon tank but a lot of cichlid experts hate to crowd two oscars into a 60 gallon because it is too small and stunts their growth.  With a 60 gallon, your oscars might look vigorous and healthy when they reach adult but they will never reach their potential in terms of size and longevity.  Some people prefer a 100 gallon tank for only 2 oscars.  

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Re: oscars

I wouldnt mind just having two fish but I dont want them to be unhappy. The Jack Dempsys' look cool too. Can I keep two of those in a 60 gallon hex tank? Do they need to have plants? If I cant keep them together Is there any fish that are cool like that that I can keep together in a 60 gallon tank?

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
I would def not go Oscar, or dempsey.

If you get a nice pair of covicts..they will breed easily. Getting the right pair is the key.

Red devils are real cool fish, but in a hex I guess it wouldn't be a good Idea.

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
A 60 gallon hex is 2 feet in diameter. Oscars need at least a four foot length for swimming. No JD's, no red devils :)o), you really shouldn't get anything that grows much past 6". I'd go with smaller colorful africans from lake malawi, blue and yellow haps, zebra and red zebra mbuna, maybe auratus and the like. The whole back of the tank top to bottom would be great as rockwork.

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well I dont know what any of those ownedbykitten suggested look like. I like the looks of the convicts and the profiles I read said they get to be about 6 inches. If I get a pair will the fish store know how to pick out a male and female? Can I add anything else to the tank with them? (something to clean algae or some loaches?) and what do you mean by rock work?

Also.. for a filter I already have a fluval 4 that was only used for about 20 minutes in my turtle tank. It was way too powerful for her so I took it out. I have a ton of sponges and filters for it that I ordered when I ordered the fluval. I was thinking that if I got a spraybar I would be able to use it in the new tank?

Kristin

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
 if i had a 60 gal i would stock it with angels. I love my angelfish. they are better (to me) than oscars, because mine are only about 2 inches long and already eat out of my hand. they are so friendly, pretty, clean and healthy. i have had oscars and these fish are 12 million times better.

Oct 22, 2002
Screw the convicts it will look soooo empty if you put those in there! Ive had convicts and they're not that great, very boring in appearence really and a waste of a 60g. Get some siamese tiger fish or a couple dempsys and giant danios.

D

discusaquarium

i'd go with the angels also. angels prefer a tall tank, and that's what the hex is. it would look really nice in there with some silvers, or maybe some altums, but altums can get a little pricy.