Oscar Struggles w. Infection

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
I'm sure he'll get over it before too long...
Probably just in time for when you're ready to put him in a bigger tank---and then he'll sulk again for a while, lol.

BV

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Vet Visit Report

Vet opened up the cooler and then said "wow, he looks a lot better" after taking a quick look. He continued watching him in the cooler for a while longer, and then repeated the same thing a few more times.

(I was obviously pleased at his reaction, but was also somewhat dumbfounded. Intently studying Triton and his pics several times a day---everyday since beginning treatment---must have been playing tricks on my eyes. Granted, I do see some improvement, but I don't know that the extent of Triton's healing is quite as profound as what the veterinarian's reaction would indicate (at least not in my eyes anyway).

But the vet has the title of "doctor" for a reason, and I'll admit that the veterinarian---having not seen him at all in 2 weeks and then seeing him in person today---must have had a much easier time noticing the changes which, to me, have been so subtle.

So believe me, I'm not complaining! :p
BV

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Nope, the vet said Triton should heal up on his own.
If there is a recurrance or other issues creep up, there are other treatment options.

I'll try to finish up a vid I've been working on so you can see how he looks now...

BV

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
***UPDATE: 10 days following Triton's 6th (final) injection***

His moodiness seems to be subsiding for the most part, but his appetite is still not quite what it was.
Actually, his appetite for the Cichlid Bio Gold+ (which has always been his staple offering) seems undamaged, but he refuses everything else (just plays with it and spits it out, making a huge mess). Maybe I'll try a different offering once a week in the hopes that he'll start liking other foods again.

Here's some pics...

Showing his lighter 'moody' coloration...

Fins extended as he 'poses' for the camera...

I'm thinking he's looking better and better...what do you think?

BV

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Your right BV, he's definitely looking WAY better!, Especially when you can look at his progress pics starting from the beginning (like this thread allows you too do *thumbsup2 ).

I'm glad to see Triton is getting better! :D

Jul 17, 2007
Omaha, NE
hey BV.... That Charlie's Angels place on S. 84th has a heck of a deal on a 75g tank. I think it was $300 or $400 for tank, stand, canopy, and equipment. they've got a ton of stuff for sale, dirt cheap, because they're moving. you might check it out.

Dec 17, 2007
kg va
sorry to hear about your friend. hope he gets better. I have three, love them , great fish to watch. out of all the fish we own (a very lot) these are the most social. they can be very moody and a barrel of fun to. good luck. ours are only about 4" at the time. excepted for pigy he's 6".

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Fortunately this story, thus far, has a happy ending.

Here is Triton 2 months following treatment:

Thanks very much, guys.
BV

P.S. thefishman...I'd love to see some pics of your oscars.
(you can post them over in the Cichlid section of the forum)

P.P.S. superchode...yeah, I knew about that, but I appreciate the heads-up.
(I would have responded earlier, but I forgot this thread was moved here :eek:)