ornate bichir questions

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
The petsmart I work at has a couple of ornate bichirs (Polypterus ornatipinnis) that they have labeled as Ornaptin-something Eel. It costs $55 but I can get an employee discount of 30% soon. I am really tempted by this because at the moment it is a really beautiful fish. It grows anywhere from 12-20" and though I don't have a large enough tank yet, I could always keep him in my 20 gallon for now. I plan on buying a 55 gallon tank anyway (which I had planned on keeping firemouths in) so I could put this bichir in here now. Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm researching at the moment--there is some good info out there (Did you know that they can escape your tank?)...

dasanipig

Small Fish
May 24, 2005
sumter, sc
i have had axe my ornatipinnis for about a year now, he is ironically very placid and gets pushed around by my other bichir. the fish has a nice temperment only stricking if attacked (i mean at least 5 times in a row).

as for the escaping they are masters, ive pulled jim(my delhezi) from behind the tank too many times. i find duct tape or heavy slate slabs to be very effective.

a 20gallon should do for a while, but he will need a bigger tank, its amazing to see how large they grow. they also require quite a large amount of live food. mine go through about a 100 rosy reds a week, (it varys on the season).and a spearte tank is best for the feeders.

but if your ready for a 20" fish then there a goos way to go.though if your looking for a fish you get to watch keep looking, they hate light, and require dense planting.

enjoy your reaserch!

Fruitbat

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2004
Garland, TX
Visit site
I have extensive experience with Polypterus ornatipinnis (I have 3 of them at this time) so I'll try to answer some of your questions.

Polypterus ornatipinnis, the Ornate Bichir, is the largest of the 'upper jaw' bichirs (those with an upper jaw that is slightly longer than their lower jaw - unlike bichirs such as P. endlicheri). The Ornate can reach lengths of up to 24 inches or so but it takes many years for them to attain full size. If you get one of these fish you can expect relatively rapid growth for the first couple of years (up to about 10 inches in length or so) and then a slow-down.

In my experience, Polypterus ornatipinnis is among the more secretive bichirs - much preferring to do its wandering at night and hiding when the lights are on. They are decidedly predatory but not overly aggressive. I personally don't keep any of my bichirs with aggressive cichlids but the Firemouth might be a good match in a large enough tank. As for tank size...if you haven't already bought it, a 50 gallon 'tub' tank would be a better choice for the bichir than a 55 gallon. The bottom area of a tank is much more important for bichirs than the overall length or height and the 55 gallon will be too narrow for an adult P. ornatipinnis. The 50 gallon 'tub' is a wider, shallower tank and is more appropriate for bichirs.

-Joe

Here are a couple of my Polypterus ornatipinnis:

Fruitbat

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2004
Garland, TX
Visit site
I have three P. ornatipinnis. The top picture is of a young one...about 4 1/2 inches long. The second picture is a little older fish....about 8 inches long. The third fish hardly ever comes out so I don't have any pictures of him.

All told....I have 20 Polypterids of 11 different species (including one Rope Fish).

-Joe

dasanipig

Small Fish
May 24, 2005
sumter, sc
wow, *bows down to the awsomeness that is fruitbat*
thats must be awsome fun to watch! how do you feed them all! that must take so many fish.

ive just got the two, jimmy my delhezi and axe my ornatpinnis. axe is about 16" and jim is 14" there still young though

Fruitbat

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2004
Garland, TX
Visit site
dasanipig.....

I never feed my bichirs live feeder fish because I don't want to take the risk of introducing any diseases or parasites into my tanks. I've had my best success with my bichirs using a varied diet that includes: Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets (a staple food for my fish), frozen bloodworms (for the smaller bichirs), frozen beef heart, frozen 'krill', frozen silversides and the occasional earthworm.

Bichirs have been my favorite fish since I bought my first one (a Polypterus senegalus) back in the early 1970s. Nobody had any idea what it was as it had come in as a 'filler fish' with a bag of African river cichlids but I was instantly fascinated by it. It took me over a week of searching through books at the college library before I identified the fish and then I went back to the pet store and purchased it immediately. I've been bitten by the bichir bug ever since!

Currently I have the following species:
Polypterus delhezi
Polypterus endlicheri congicus
Polypterus endlicheri endlicheri
Polypterus ornatipinnis
Polypterus palmas buettikoferi
Polypterus palmas polli
Polypterus retropinnis
Polypterus senegalus (including 3 albinos)
Polypterus
sp. 'Congo' - the Zaire Green
Polypterus weeksii
Erpetoichthys calabaricus

-Joe

dasanipig

Small Fish
May 24, 2005
sumter, sc
WOW! that must be awsome. i also feed blood worms and silver sides. along with ghost shrimp they really seem to like those. and i treat everyfish before it goes into the tank, it takes me a week to get the feeders ready to be feed.

my first polypterus was an albino senegalus, i fell in love with him at my lfs, the onwer loves the species and always has them in stock. though i had to special orded axe and jimmy.

i would love to see pictures of your collection!

Fruitbat

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2004
Garland, TX
Visit site
dasanipig....

If you look back in this forum a couple of months ago I posted pictures of a number of my bichirs. It might be easier for you to go back and check the old posts rather than me to post them all again. If you can't find the old posts then let me know.

-Joe

dasanipig

Small Fish
May 24, 2005
sumter, sc
OH MY they are truly stunning! how big is your delhezi? just wondering since his colouration is so different from my jims.

and i hope some of your bichirs do end up breeding you have some fine fish there.
we've actually got someone in town who's ornatipinnis are getting rather friendsly, he just moved them into there own 55g.

Fruitbat

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2004
Garland, TX
Visit site
My two P. delhezi are about 6 inches long now. I got them when they were 2 inch long babies and that was about a year ago. The pictures I posted were when they were about 4 inches long.....they've colored up even more since then. They have a exceptional amount of green on them.

Here's a picture of one of them taken about a week ago:

-Joe

dasanipig

Small Fish
May 24, 2005
sumter, sc
yeah, i love them to peices who else would happily have 2 fish in a 90 gallon tank?
there so much fun to watch, mine recive live food and the way the hunt and eat there food is awsome.

FiSh15

Small Fish
Mar 28, 2004
guam
Visit site
i loved my bichur to pieces. unfortunately it died today. it was weird, i did a 10 percent water change and it started freaking out. i had it for a year and a half it was 14 inches long when it died. this really sucks.