One question about Filtration

Apr 7, 2011
I have a Eclipse 12 system with overhead hood and filter combination. I read the Nano setup and I have one question....You keep the biowheel and don't put anything in the filter section of the system? How does it get clean? I am converting from freshwater to saltwater so I am just in awe that the aquarium won't need a carbon filter! Thanks in advance! Lindsay :confused:

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Where did you here that!? You definitely need some carbon and filter floss. The Bio Wheel is just for more purification. The beneficial bacteria living on it purify the water by breaking down Ammonia to Nitrites and Nitrites to Nitrates. It doesn't take anything out of the water physically wise.

Oct 29, 2010
Carbon really isn't necessary in a tank where the water is changed regularly.
Carbon and aquariums

It basically was a big deal way back when, when aquarists became convinced that water changes caused fish deaths. Thus, the water stayed put, and the carbon was changed to remove the smell D:

You can stuff the filter full of hypo-allergenic polyester pillow batting - just make sure it isn't treated for mold, or made of cotton which will degrade. You can buy it especially as filter floss. Other options are "bio balls" which provide great homes for beneficial bacteria, or filter media which can be cut to fit the place where the carbon is removed.

Welcome to MFT! Good luck with your tank :D

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
See I was told that a standard filter is a bad idea for a saltwater tank because it's a nitrate trap. I just run a small hob protine skimmer and seems to do fine. I do a 25% water change about every 2 months and everything thrives. but thats my experience.