OMG..what a mess.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
:eek: I recieved my Flourite today. I was excited.

Get my 5 gallon bucket out, hook up my Python(my bucket is too high for the faucet) I put the bucket in the sink. I open up the flourite and wow, nice looking!!! But, man, looks muddy and damp. I dump the first 15# bag of 5 into the bucket.

I then turn on the water, and put the phython under the Flourite.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
OMG!! It is so dirty. All this Mud followed by some black oil stuff??? came out. Took me at least a half hour to get it clean. Then when I put it in It was still full of dust.

Eventually I couldn't see into my tank. I only used 4 bags, I have a nice looking terrain setup.

This is seachem's brand. Is it all like this??

When I touch the flourite, dust come up from it. I guess I need to get my Hot magnum on here with the micro filter, and pollish the tank. It is very clear, except when I touch the flourite. How is everyone else's expierance with the dust, and when will it go away.? Do I need to stir it up, pollisg it out? Will it never go away? :(

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
YUP! that's my thoughts exactly. when i first washed mine, it was exactly like that. the water turned literally black. but after hours and hours of cleaning...

it was still like that. well. now it was brownish. but i just put it in my tank and ran my filters. after a couple of hours, the sediments that are still floating around eventually settle to the bottom. i had fishes in there at the time but it didn't seem to bother them.

every now and then when i want to remove a plant, it'll give a 'poof' of dust but then it eventually disappears.

so no worries. it'll be okay.

FishChick

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Wisconsin
Look in the plant section about my experience with it.  I used the same brand.  Now my tanks are crystal clear.  you just have to wait on it for a while.  I used my magnum also when I first put it in, it took a few days for it to clear.  I would stir up the bottom when get started getting clear to get as much as I could sucked out of the water.  Good Luck.   :)

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
wow. 120gallon of 100% flourite. i had to do it for a 29gallon and that was a chore. hehe.

good luck! give it a couple of good rinsing and you should be okay. you'll never be able to get rid of it all.

what i'vve been doing is using a python and sticking it directly into the flourite. a bit here a bit there. and now it's much much better.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Don't get the pro, with the bio wheel, unless you plan on using the magnum and bio wheel for another tank, or want it for the future..if you don't do plants. The bio wheel will take a lot of Co2 out of the water.

Get the Magnum Deluxe instead.

I would get an additional Power head for the opposite side of the tank, just for more current.