Old Tank > New Again

Oct 22, 2002
i got a hold of an 60 gallon glass tank that looks pretty old.  the previous owner let it sit outside for a while.  my main concern is that water will leak or watever the worse could happen.  

anyone know the best way to reseal the tank with silicon... how do i take off the old sealant....what to look for to see if everything is in good condition... any extra tips or what i should look for... before i put the tank in my room and fill it with water....

thanks guys *thumbsup2*

PDM

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
The Dells
I found a 65 in the field across from my house. All that I did was have a glass place cut 1/4"-3/8" thick plate to fit. Cleaned up the silicone with a razor,slid the new piece in and siliconed in place. Let dry for 24 hrs.,fill up check for leaks for another 24 hrs. (24hrs.min.)

p2kmon

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Check out this website, they have a number of good ideas on how to fix leaks, that should help you out!

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/aquariumdiy/

p2kmon

Jay

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sarnia Ontario
Straight razor's work wonders for taking off old silicone. Make sure you get an aquarium approved silicone when you go to buy your new stuff.

Another thing to consider is fill up a bowl full of water and wet your index finger for when you press and smear the silicone into the crack, by doing this the silicone won't stick to your fingers and it will make a "much" neather job.

Good Luck! it's easy!