ok...someone tell me...what is florite?

Franky099

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
southern Ohio
www.aquabid.com
Yes...Im a newbie to the planted tank world.  But would love to try one...but I have no idea what Flourite is!  Someone clue me in please!  I have 3 10 gallon tanks, a 38, a 40, and a 5 gallon tank.   Most house bettas, one has gouramis, and one is a guppy tank.  I have live plants in most of them...but they are just stuck down in the gravel...nothing special.  I would like to create one of those heavily planted tanks....with just a few inhabitants living in it.  Im sure I should probably start small...but Im selling my horses in a few weeks....and there is this 120 gallon tank at my LFS that I just cant take my eyes off of!!!  lol. :D

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
:eek: It cost a lot to ship it...I had no choice. My LFS dont carry it. I should get it tomorrow.

Don't you think if you order something, it gets back ordered, the place should tell you this before half your shipment arrives? I get my shipment "Boy, is this light!!" A nice backorder on the recept. I was kinda mad with that buisness practice...cause yes, I would have ordered it through someone else, but kinda left me open to other online shops for my buisness now.

SegaDojo

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.intergate.ca
like the previous posts mentioned, it is high on iron... but also, it acts as a CEC (Cation Exchange something or other) medium...  in other words, it also serves as a medium for minerals in the water column to be absorbed by the substrate.. making them more readily available to the plant roots.

if you can't find flourite in the LFS, you can try also garden shops (much cheaper)... there's several products such as Shultz clay soil conditioner, and one from Profile that is very similar.  I have never tried it, but the general consesus is that it is just as effective only a little lighter.  Its best to use it with an inch or two of plain gravel just to weigh it down.  Plus the plain gravel will help keep your plants rooted more easily.

if you're determined to purchase the one from Seachem or Aquarium Pharmeceuticals, you can try www.bigalsonline.com

SegaDojo

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.intergate.ca
its not really my tatoo... its a pic of the tatoo on one of the members of "slaves on dope".  They're a heavy rock band... the tatoo is of a little kid being held up by the devil... it seems like the devil is trying to offer the kid something (what he's offering is open for interpretation)

Slaves on dope is an awesome band if you're into the heavy stuff...

BTW: by no means do i encourage substance abuse..  :eek:

FishChick

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Wisconsin
I used the Seachem.  You can always ask your lfs to order it for you.  I had to order it in at my work and I got it at cost because it is something we don't carry and it wasn't cheap.  I think it is working very well for me and was worth the $$$