Ok.I need some info

Oct 22, 2002
St.Louis
All righty guy and gals who keep discus. Share you vast knowledge of them to me. I have always liked discus since i was like 5 years old and now i really want them. Here is my plan and tell me what you think, give advise, or blow my idea out of the water.
Tank: 20 XH
Lighting: 20 watt flouresent
Substrate: Fine gravel mixed with laterice
Filter: Whisper 20 or 30
Plants: all live, don't critize my lighting
Discus: 1 pair.
Strain: Unkown yet. open for suggestions. thinking red snakeskins or red pidgeons.
So what do ya'll think.  *thumbsup2* or  *thumbsdown2*

Lynn

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Ok....I wouldnt keep 2 discus in anything less than 50G, infact IMO you shouldnt keep 2 discus together unless they are a mated pair since 1 will more than likely be the target of the others aggression. Therefor I would keep 1 discus. Discus kept solo become more petlike than those kept with other discus. A few otos and cories with the Discus would do fine. Red Snakeskins with a high amout of striations and high finned are simple beautiful fish!

Again......ditto lynn

minimum 5 discus to disperse the aggression. If getting juvies, feed lots and change TONS of water daily. 5 discus=50g to start.

for a 20g....ONE. No more. Unless they are a proven pair, and you will pay as much for a proven pair as a 55g and 5 juvie discus.

http://www.jeddsaquaboard.com/forums/  is a great place with a superb discus forum.

www.simplydiscus.com   is another

R

ronrca

Cardinals are very beautiful also. I really enjoy my cardinals together with my discus.

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
Rummynosees will also act as an indicator of the water quality because the water is in good order they will display the bright red coloration on the "nose" *celebratesmiley* Hence the name