not looking right

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
i'm noticing something with my plants. I'm seeing that the new growth on my plants is kinda yellow and not green and some look varigated with darker green in the center of the leaves and the yellow on the outside. also some of the leaves look rather thin like they have parts that are almsot like melting but not realy melting. i'll try to post pics of it but i was wondering, does anyone know what is possibly causeing this? i've read this could be a lack of potasium. does that sound right to anyone?

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
so it seems like phosphate and nitrogen deficiency combined with magnesium deficiency. new growth looks like all 3 combined. might try some other supliments. think it's kinda odd that i would have these problems with a dirted tank. kinda wondering if i could send my potting soil somewhere to get tested to see how much of this and that was in it. I know the ingredients but nothing else.

Feb 27, 2009
If you didn't mineralize the soil, until the soil decomposes (and that takes months), there will be issues. If one nutrient is in excess, it can hinder the uptake of others. The soil must become mineralized to be used effectively by the plants.

Do you know the color of the roots of the effected plants (tan, brown, black, white, etc.?)

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
the roots along the bottom of the glass are briliant white and there are TONS of them for every plant. some plants have a foot print nearly the size of a volley ball when u look under the tank.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
what? u said it can take months for the soil to mineralize itself so if i suppliment with florish till the soil begins to mineralize that should help my plants. i'm not going to dig up the tank and do it all over again so i need to do something in the meantime till the soil is supplying the proper nutrients. correct OC?

Apr 15, 2013
Vancouver
If you want to test your dirt I'm sure a soil test kit from a garden center would work well for your needs. The color's can be hard to read sometimes...but I've found it quite helpful in the vegetable garden. Should give you a good idea of what nutrients may be depleted...and only costs around $10. Cheers