Normal size for guppy fry at birth?

Onyx!

Small Fish
Nov 14, 2010
I have just started up a new aquarium for the first time in a few years, in the last few months. I kept guppies previously, and I remember them being born as teeny weeny little things that you could barely see. However, my current female has had two batches of fry so far and and both times the fry were born at about 1/2 an inch long.

The first batch are about a month old now, she had about 8 and 6 survived, they are about an inch long now and showing yellow coloration as well as some black spots. Is this normal?

She seems to be quite the baby-making machine, she was incredibly fat when I got her, and hasn't decreased much in girth even after her two batches of offspring. She had her second batch last night and I've counted 11 though as you can imagine they are a bit hard to count, so there may be a few more :)

Feb 27, 2009
If they are not bred too young, what you are experiencing now is 'normal'.

The very small fry (and usually not many survive given the best of care) usually indicates they are bred too young when they were not fully developed.

Onyx!

Small Fish
Nov 14, 2010
Ah, thank you. It confused me because everyone talks about removing the fry to a rearing tank so they don't get eaten, but these newborns are much too big to be eaten by mom or any of the other fish except probably the gourami, who pays them no attention. I thought this was her nefarious plan for keeping them safe :p