noisy pump/pipes in sump

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
i finally got my plumbing done! no leaks! but one thing i noticed is the amount of noise the plumbing/sump is causing. it's not noticeable when the tv is on but it is still loud.

the first noise section is the water rushing thro the pipes. i guess i could wrap towel or that noise-reduction foam around it. how effective do u think that'll be.

the 2nd noice section is where the water runs into the sump. the opening is below the water level but it's so powerful that it creates alot of whitewater.

the 3rd noise section is the skimmer. man. that skimmer is louder than i thought. but can't do much about it. you think if i changed the Rio Pump it's running to something else i might quiet it down?

the 4th noise is the return pump. not that noticable but noisy nonetheless.

thanks,

johnny

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
For the first noise, did you setup a durso or stockman pipe.  All that noise is from the air/water mixture.  If you cover the overflow section with a piece of acrylic or glass, the noise is cut down a lot.
For the second noise, have the return pump go all the way to the sump and make an U attachment with PVC so that the it returns water to almost to water level minimizing microbubbles.  And have it returned to a micron filter bag ($10) and this also reduces the bubbles and noise.
I don't know much about the remora C but you can I believe if you look at the marinedepot site, they use either the Maxijet or mag as substitutes.

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
1. i got the durso pipe to fit! bought a dremel tool and shaved off the pvc pipings until it fitted. it was interesting watching the water rise (so close to unplugging the pump) and getting worried it would overflow but then it actually worked! sweet! i have a piece of acrylic that covers the entire overflow box.

2. i have the water coming down a pipe and then it goes into an elbow that's pointed toward the skimmer area. i also have a microbag. i guess the water that's coming out is so strong that it's churning the water inside the microbag. i have no problems with bubbles.

3. yeah. i might switch the rio to something else and use the rio as a pump inside a rubbermaid to circulate the saltwater i'm goign to mix. at 99cents a gallon, it's too expensive.

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Dang you must have dog ears then.  Maybe you can hear things people can't. ;D

Like I said, you don't need that 99 cents a gallon crap.  That's just too high.  Go get RO water at your LFS or at the RO machines at your supermarket for 35 cents.  It works well.

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
haha. i dunno. i think it's the skimmer that's creating the most noise. then comes the water churning inside the microbag. then the returnpump. then the piping.

doh!

do u think i can reduce the amt of water coming thro the pipes or would that be a bad idea.

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I would think that the way to reduce it might be throttling back the return pump.  Less water flow to the main tank then  less water return.  Isn't this all enclosed in a stand with doors?  There are some people that buy sound proof padding at Home Depot to buffer the sound inside.

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
i'm going to try to throttle it down a bit. i don't know how effective it is to pad the stand. since it's wide open from the back. also, i'm thinking of the summer when it gets hot. don't want ot trap in hot air.

one design flaw on my tank is that there are no openings for evaporation. it just condenses at the top of the tank. man. but i hope the evaporation on the open sump will compensate for it.

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Do you know if the noise from the RIO is coming from the pump or the vibration?  If you look on marinedepot site, they recommend a mag 3 for replacement.  THat's only $35 at petsmart.com with a $10 coupon.  What model is the rio?  1400?  

Do you mean your tank is fully enclosed?  I just bought some fans at fry's electronics for $10 (4inch) and installed it in my canopy.  Works like a charm.