no tank... its a nice bowl

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
I couldn't conclude whether "Fisha" (obituary fish) and "Fishy" were the same fish.

The betta could live a comfortable life in a bowl, I suppose, if vigorous water changes were made (for clean water and to prevent stagnation), and they were kept in a room with a constant temperature. They also love plants! I noticed my bettas were more active when I put them into fish tanks instead of keeping them in bowls though... but then Hurrican Ike came along and caused their demise... *sigh*

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I couldn't conclude whether "Fisha" (obituary fish) and "Fishy" were the same fish.

The betta could live a comfortable life in a bowl, I suppose, if vigorous water changes were made (for clean water and to prevent stagnation), and they were kept in a room with a constant temperature. They also love plants! I noticed my bettas were more active when I put them into fish tanks instead of keeping them in bowls though... but then Hurrican Ike came along and caused their demise... *sigh*
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one emmanuel
no fish can live happily in a bowl.

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
maybe not happy but if done right can live. i know this is going to sound bad but my mom has a gold fish (left over feeder fish i didn't want) that she has kept for over a yr in a bowl. she feeds it very little and swaps the bowl with another one (that she has preped a day in advance) every couple days. honestly i'm supprised its still alive but it seems to be doing ok. it seems active and swims all around the bowl. even though its not the most proper thing to do but kudos to mom for keeping it looking good.

Feb 8, 2009
Well, thanks for all your comments, but he is Fishy, and he is really happy, yesterday i bought a plant, and he eat bloodworms, brine shrimp and hikari betta bio gold, change everyday his water and live with me around a month, or more.... play with a pebble too.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Happy and Comfortable are two different things.
what form of life can live happily and uncomfortably at the same time? Especially a fish in a 1 pint of water bowl?

There's nothing to be happy about mind the discomfort.

... In reference to human life, at least people who hate their jobs get paid; I can see the discomfort and happiness there, if money makes you happy but in a generalization they are usually miserable.

So explain how a fish with no other means of happiness can be happy and uncomfortable at the same time.

If I was the smallest of fish, I would jump out of any bowl short of 1G without filtration

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
My argument was that the fish could live a comfortable life, but not necessarily happy, not happy but uncomfortable.

So explain how a fish with no other means of happiness can be happy and uncomfortable at the same time.

If I was the smallest of fish, I would jump out of any bowl short of 1G without filtration
I think you somewhat answered your own question. If a fish is unhappy, it'll jump ship, just as my fish did when their water went bad after the whole Hurricane Ike deal, and they were in tanks, not bowls.

PerenGee

Large Fish
Sep 20, 2008
San Diego
(EDIT: oops Emmanuel, you beat me...eh I wrote it out already...carry on.)

I think he meant that living happily is different from living comfortably. No doubt the betta will be fine in a good sized bowl if it's properly taken care of. It probably won't feel too much stress and in a sense would lead a comfortable life (sorta). Would it be happy? Without going into the definition of happinesss, I'd have to say no.

Although, I'd have to agree with you about the people who hate their jobs. In terms of bettas and bowls and whatnot, I think it's an issue between surviving and flourishing. The fish will survive.

Our bettas were doing just fine in their bowls, which were pretty large, but after putting them in bigger, filtered and heated tanks, they did change and become more active, lively, and inquisitive. Just something to think about xyzmeli, you might have even more fun with Fishy if he had a larger, decorated environment. That also means less water changes and more time for funner things ;)

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
My argument was that the fish could live a comfortable life, but not necessarily happy, not happy but uncomfortable.

I think you somewhat answered your own question. If a fish is unhappy, it'll jump ship, just as my fish did when their water went bad after the whole Hurricane Ike deal, and they were in tanks, not bowls.
Whoopsies, sorry I think your initial post triggered a thought in my head but when I look at your statement now the meaning is totally different lol.

The quote
comfy and unhappy but never happy when uncomfy - is something more along the lines of what I wanted to conclude too. Thanks for the re-verification of what you meant *crazysmil