Nitrate Reduction.

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
The best nitrate reducer is a water change.

Then you got too figure out why you have so much nitrate?  Is it too much feeding?  Too much feeding?

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well that is weird if water changes don't effect your nitrate.  You have a nitrate factory coming from somewhere.  You got to be the detective and figure out if it is coming from your filter/fish/feeding or some jealous aquariust who dumps nitrate into your tank. ;D

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
I wish i could comment on the DIY nitrate reducer. My friend has a highly technical book which may have something like that in it.

Do you have nitrates in your tap?

Shows your wet / dry is working(I think you have a sump with one right?) or you would have a nitrIte / ammonia problem instead. There has to be a source that is producing the ammonia fueling it.

P.S.  You going to the bathroom in your tank again? ;)

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net
What exactly are your nitrate levels?  20ppm in the tap is a tad high.  What you -could- do is try replacing some of the water in the tank with reverse osmosis or bottled water. they have zero nitrates.

In my 80 gallon my nitrates are well over 200ppm.  well, as far as I can tell on the Aquarium Pharm test kit anyway.  :D

I am in the process of doing a series of consecutive water changes - yesterday I did 20 gallons, waited a half an hour and doing another 20 gallons.  I am going to do the same thing again today.  Gotta love the python.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Cloth,

I found a DIY project in the book I have.

I will email it to you as soon as my wife types it up...it is a lot more than I should/could type. It also has two diagrams which I will send in an attachment.  8)

R

ronrca

Scary stuff! I wonder where the nitrates come from in tap water. Seems kinda of strange. My tap  water as 0 nitrates. What about getting plants? (or maybe you do already).

Most of the Nitrates in tap water come from modern farming methods, the excess nitrates seep into the water table and are then pumped into resevoirs for human use.
The only place I ever had no nitrates was when I lived half way up a hill that had a well in the garden, and there were no farms above me using man made chemical fertilisers. 8)

R

ronrca

Here in Canada, I have no nitrates in my tap water. Maybe it is also because I live in the city! Not sure though.