nitrat,nitrite, and amonia levels?

P

[PJ]

I finally got a nitrate test. I was wondering if you guys could tell me if these were good levels for a planted tank.

Ph:        7.0
nitrite:    .1 ppm
nitrate:    20 ppm
ammonia:     0 ppm
kh:          3-4 degrees or 53.7-71.6 ppm

what do you guys think of these levels?

SegaDojo

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.intergate.ca
the nitrate levels seem somewhat high (despite it is a plant tank).  Personally, I try to keep mine at 5-10 ppm.  Any more, I would think you're risking algae growth.

plants don't use up nitrites... and it is toxic to fish (more so than nitrates).  I don't know what is the tolerable level, but if it does get too high, just do frequent water changes.

the kH is a good level (kH=4 is "ideal" when injecting CO2).

Do you have a iron test kit?  IMO, its one of the most important tests for plant tanks.

Also, if you can test the phosphates, the general rule is to keep it less than 1ppm, but even at 1ppm, it is very easy to have an algae bloom.  So I'd aim for .5 ppm or less.

Here's a link to an article that I found very helpful and informative.. kinda lengthy, but well worth the read.

www.cam.org/~tomlins/algae.html

P

[PJ]

I guess I will go buy  an iron and a phosphate test tonight. Thanks for the advice.

P

[PJ]

alright, the tests scores are in.

Fe(non-cheleated):  0.05   (not zero but not 0.1)
Fe (cheleated): less than 0.1
phosphate: 0.25

how are these?

SegaDojo

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.intergate.ca
does your LFS test your water for free?  if so, I would just bring a sample there to test your phosphates.  That would save you 15 bucks or so...

how heavily is your tank planted now with your new plants?  (i.e. 50% covered, 75% covered)

SegaDojo

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.intergate.ca
they look good to me...

the chelated iron is fine at .1 ppm.. unless you notice iron deficiencies you can up the concentration to about .25 ppm.

for a table of deficiencies, you can go to either:
www.aquabotanic.com
or
www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/

(i wish this site a bit more traffic so there can be a little debate going on...)

P

[PJ]

I would say that it is planted about 50%. The place that i bought the plants didn't carry any red plants so I am going to put some more in there.

so far everything seems to be doing fine except the tall skinny ones in the back. They did not have a name on them when i bought them so i do not know what kind they are but they are bending over at the top. I am assumeing that they are lacking some mineral or smonthing.

Yes. my LFS can test my water but i would rather have my own test kits. I am heading down to another lfs that i have never been to. hopefully they will carry the test kits.