Newman's 40 Gallon Planted Tank

What do you think of the tank as a whole?

• "I don't really understand what youre doing here...it looks weird"

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • "The idea is half decent, but could use some improvements"

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • "Overall it looks natural and good"

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • "Awsome habitat for the fish and looks outstanding"

Votes: 19 46.3%

• Total voters

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
521:
the light is a T5, it is 78watts or something like that, it gives my tank 2.1 wpg
btw check the most recent pages, my tank did get updated a lot, stuff on the first few pages is severely outdated lol.

Laura:
yes i figured the angel would be the toughest thing to find haha. black angel with black background isnt that bad, it lets the angel practice camouflage especially when it faces you, its very thin and blends with the gaps in the val leaves(lol). kinda made the unnatural black color a natural form of defense. sometimes i seriously have to look for her if she isnt at the front of the tank beggin for food.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Here are some pictures after bringing some vals from the front to the back of the tank. pictures show a relatively unchanged tank since depth is hard to capture but in reality the tank looks more spacious and there is a lot more depth seen in the middle of the tank than the previous scape.

Attachments

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Can I please get some of your thoughts on the food i am feeding to my tank?

The cories get around 5-7 Omega One Shrimp pellets 6 nights a week.(this is the only target feeding i do for cories, the rest of their time the pick up the other foods i feed.)

The angel, mollies, SAEs, and Silver(betta) get some Full Life Spectrum small fish formula pellets 6 days a week, Formula One Flakes maybe 1 day every two weeks, Omega One or Hikari FD Tubifex cubes 4-5 days a week, FD brine shrimp maybe 1 day a week, Frozen brine shrimp and Frozen bloodworms 1-2 days a week, and maybe Frozen mysis shrimp 1-2 times a month.

Does this sound like a decent carnivorous diet or should I be including something else?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
thanks for checking it over. I was a bit worried that it might be a bit too heavy on the protein side(with all the foods we consider treats), but New Life spectrum and probably the Formula One flakes have lots of vegetable components like spirulina as well.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I guess i do, laura :) I'm glad you think the angel looks good! That frayed dorsal fin is healing fast. it split when the angel was being nervous when i moved those vals to the back.

Thanks paperdog! How is you tank doing? I'll go check your thread for some updates.

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
Thanks paperdog! How is you tank doing? I'll go check your thread for some updates.
Its doing fantastic! I brought that old 30 gallon stocking thread back from the dead with a few pictures. I'm gonna get a few more pics up soon as well, but things are pretty much just growing and/or multiplying right now, I haven't really done anything with it lately.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
yes and pygmy chain sword. the two plants are basically the same and blend well.

I am moving out so this tank is being taken down, all plants sold and the fish are beings sold gradually. amazing run and learning experience with this tank, but all good things must come to an end...