Newbies.

Laura_b

Small Fish
Mar 14, 2016
United Kingdom
Hi all, my boyfriend and I just got our first tank of freshwater tropicals yesterday, though I have has childhood experience.
So far we have three kuhli loaches and three neon tetras (will be getting more in future).
Problem being that two of the kuhlis keep jumping, one more so than the other, and I actually came to the tank this morning to find that the two jumpers have gotten themselves into the filter compartment. They're safe, and one has been saved, (working on the other) but I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to manage or prevent this crazy jumping? Maybe make them more comfortable? Ph and water levels are absolutely fine. Thanks, Laura.

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
welcome to MFT!

what size tank is it? usually for jumpers, i've used eggcrate that you can buy at like home depot or your local hardware store. it's white plastic grids pretty much. you can cut it to the size of your tank and put it on top. you can cut a slot out for the filter if you have a hang on filter too. that'll keep them from jumping and also allow light to still go into the tank.

Laura_b

Small Fish
Mar 14, 2016
United Kingdom
Thank you!
Tank is 20 litres, and at the moment only has six residents. Three neon tetras and three loaches. Thank you, I'll definitely look into it to see what I can find, my bf went out to the local pet store today and asked about the fish getting into the filter compartment. They told him that their loaches do it all the time, and as long as they seem happy they should be fine.
He rescued one earlier today, just for us to watch it swim straight back through a gap this evening! I figure they'll swim back through to the main tank when they get hungry enough :)

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Egg crate has holes that are too big to stop kuhlis. That plastic needlework canvas from a craft store will work. If it is in the water you would have to clean it regularly so it doesn't get junk clogging the holes.

Do you have plenty of hiding opportunities for them?

Laura_b

Small Fish
Mar 14, 2016
United Kingdom
Thanks, I'll look into getting some sorted.
There are hiding places for them, but I think they were just a bit freaked out by being in a new environment. The tanks at the store had nothing but fish in them. Now they've been returned to the main tank compartment they have found places to hide. I'm still going to get another for them though, just to help them feel safe.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Laura, welcome!

Did you establish a nitrogen cycle in this tank prior to adding fish? At only 5gal, things will go south quickly if you haven't. If you can get a well used sponge bubbler filter from a healthy established tank, and get it going in your 5gal, you'll be good to go. If not, daily water changes will be needed. Hopefully you've got an API master test kit.

Laura_b

Small Fish
Mar 14, 2016
United Kingdom
Thank you!

I believe so, I tested the nitrogen and ph levels more than once before introducing any fish, and it was all reading at the right levels. Plan of action is to do another test tomorrow or Monday to check again, and do a partial water change just to keep things fresh. Off to see the experts in the store on Monday too.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I've never found a fish store owner or employee to be an "expert", so be careful there. They are in the business to see you stuff and obviously need to, to keep the place open.

The only levels you need to be concerned with is ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and you need a liquid test kit for that. They should be all 0ppm on a tank with no fish, but dump a fish in there and ammonia will rise to poisonous level quicly. Ph is a concern, but as long as it's consistent, you're good.

Laura_b

Small Fish
Mar 14, 2016
United Kingdom
The huge chain store in the UK has a very knowledgeable staff, so it's helpful to ask them things, but obviously I do my research elsewhere too.
Fish are absolutely fine now, but still doing checks to keep things consistent, thanks.