newbie writes obituary

vahluree

Medium Fish
Jan 18, 2009
Euless, TX
Well, this is no surprise, a newbie writing an obituary. But I am a little puzzled, so I'll tell a story.
I lost a Julii corydora after owning it only 5 days. The first night it was active, eagerly sharing an algae disc with our peppered cory. For the next few days, it seemed a little lethargic. It would just lay there on the bottom of the tank. Then one night I looked and it was on it's side. Not moving. Our little "Juli" was dead. :(
I'm puzzled because it never showed any physical signs of stress. No loss of color. The eyes and gills looked great. The pH is 7.6 and the temperature is 76. No ammonia.
The store we bought it from had it in a tank with only one other cory. I wonder if it was a companion or something. I've heard of fish forming bonds, and I wonder if that is true of corys, too. The clerk was a little rough when he was trying to catch it. Maybe it was possibly injured or just overstressed. But the fact that it took 5 days makes me doubt that. I just don't know.
Anyway. The loss of Juli has baffled me a little. I was just wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences with corys. Your input is much appreciated!!

An interesting observation- a couple days later I found some eggs on the underside of an anubias plant. They are totally clear. The only fish they could belong to are either the corys or some colombian tetras. Unless fish can lay unfertilized eggs, I had just one angelfish in the tank at the time I found the eggs. I know there is a snail in the tank. Man, I hope they're not snail eggs!! Anyone know who lays clear eggs?

joy613

Medium Fish
Mar 2, 2008
My guess is you have snail eggs either pond or ramshorn snail. I am sorry to hear about your cory I do know that they do best in a well balanced cycled tank.