Newbie w/ Pet Store Betta

Oct 22, 2002
We had a lot of bettas when I was younger. I recently bought one for my desk at work.  He (Quon) is healthy and happy, despite some external parasites, which I've medicated him for.  Today I bought him a friend (seperate tank, of course).  I named him Chun.  He's very pale, his body colour is a pinkish mother of pearl, and hs fins fade from a light teal to a deep red.  Chun is VERY lethargic.  He won't flare at a mirror or at Quon.  He just sits and stares.  He is eating and making regular trips for air, but other than that, he just kinda rests at the bottom of his tank.  Could it be the new setting?  Quon didn't act like this when I first got him.  [flash=width,height]Help![/flash]

Oct 22, 2002
It may be his new setting or it may be his personality i have a black like this. Sometime water changes help and so does different foods. Like live foods cause to much flake food will get him constipated.

FishChick

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Wisconsin
Bettas tend to be a little stressed out as with any fish after being carried around in a bag.  The bettas at my work don't eat or do much of anything until a day or too after we get them.  

FishChick

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Wisconsin
The ones where I work just sit there.  I think they might put something in the water and it might drug them up a little.  I don't know for sure (I should call the fish guy)Bettas are the only fish that come in dark blue water.  It could be that QuonBetta bought a fish that had just gotten to the store that day or so.  

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
All of the bettas I've had have been different. Some are very active and some just aren't. It just all depends on the betta. It could be stress and the new setting too. Just give him some time.

Ryan ;D

Oct 22, 2002
I guess I just had to be patient.  He's doing well now.  I brought him home from work for the weekend so I could keep an eye on him.  He's flaring and eating and swimming like a normal little fishy.   After some reading, I've decided that he's a Cambodian.  My boyfriend and I have decided he's the prettiest one we have.  Anyone know of a larger fish that is comparable in beauty?  I really love the long flowing fins.  Bettas remind me of mermaids.   ;)