Newbie here!

Genesis

New Fish
Dec 1, 2009
O.K. so last X-mas I bought my daughter a 10-gal tank, a substitution for the hamster she requested. It lasted for approx. a month for her to lose interest, unfortunately or fortunately the fish obsession grew with me. In January 09 I purchased a 55 gal freshwater and absolutely love it.

Since than my daughters' fish have been transferred to my 55 gal and is currently empty. I had been debating a puffer or a betta, but than my brother bought a 55 gal saltwater and I found my new obsession. I absolutely refuse to give up my 55 gal freshwater so I have decided to turn the 10 gal into a saltwater nano tank.

Here is where I stand for plans:

Purchased:
20" Satellite 1x40 watt SunPaq with Lunar Light Current USA
1-HYDOR KORALIA 1 PUMP/POWERHEAD
1-Salinity Refractometer
1-used powerhead for salt mix

Plan on stocking with mostly soft corals and some lps
15 lbs live rock (lbs could be adjusted depending on density)
20 lbs sand
cuc-to be determined

Not sure about fish other than I want a purple firefish and a yellow watchman goby...maybe that is enough???

My goal for this tank is mainly the corals and I am willing to research extensively and force myself to have extreme patience.

Your extensive knowledge is what I am in need of.

Lights, powerheads and refractometer come in next week and I will proceed from there...the questions will probably be extensive.

Genesis

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Welcome!

It sounds like you've got the basics down for the tank.

Before you fill it, you should probably get an RO/DI unit, or figure out a source for it (it's probably just as easy to buy it if you have a 10g). It's one of the most important things for the success of a reef tank. Maybe convince your brother to buy one and use his water (if he lives near you).

Of course, you'll need ammonia and nitrate test kits when you start cycling. If you already have freshwater ones, they'll sometimes work--check the boxes.

Once you're cycled, the fish choices sound OK, but it's best to add only one a month.

Then, it's time to start researching the kinds of corals you want, and working on getting your calcium and alkalinity in check.

I ran a 10g for a few years, and it worked pretty well.

Nov 30, 2009
VA
For a tank that small just buy the water, its not going to cost that much every week and honestly it wouldnt be worth dragging the unit out for the cost it would save you. I use distilled water on my own 15G nano...does very well, or you can save some cash and run your own RO water at the machine at walmart, or even buy the green lid walmart brand gallons of water they are RO water as well.

Alot of people dont skim their nanos, which is something that I must disagree with. The idea is that it wont pull enough crud out of the water to warrent its cost. But in these nanos anything helps so I would invest in a good skimmer. Aqua C Remora Nano is probably the best skimmer out on the market right now for a tank that size. You can get them used on ebay for around $60.

I would probably cut your sand back to 10-15lbs instead of the 20lbs just to leave more water space for the inhabitants. For most live rock 15lbs would be perfectly adequate. Your choice of a pump is awesome, Koralias are excellent. Your lighting is good enough to support softies. Its probably a little lower than optimal for LPS, so I would probably just keep things like zoas, palys, mushrooms etc.

Invest in a good salt mix, I highly advocate Seachem Reef Salt. It has a high calcium concentration so you honestly probably will not have to dose. It is also totally void of phosphate and nitrate so those early days of algae blooms can be avoided. Also buy top shelf live rock, it will also help you to avoid algae issues. I bought my rock from pacificeastaquaculture.com and couldnt be happier, huge amounts of coraline algae, no pests, no nussiance algae. Also Salifert test kits are the best out there for a hobbyist level reef aquarium...definatly invest in some of those.

Another strange thing Ive noticed with alot of nano keepers is that most of them dont dose or feed their corals. Dosing vitamins and alkalinity stability is usually about all a nano will need, I like Seachem Reef Plus and Reef Carbonate. Also feeding your corals some phytoplankton or filter feeder food once or twice per week will really show some results in growth and overall health of the corals.

As to your stock, its a bit much for a 10G IMO. Especially when you factor in with displacement of rock and sand youll have around 6 gallons of water...its best to just keep 1 small fish for a 10G with a small CUC. 2-3 hermits, 2-3 Nass. snails and 2 margarita snails would be more than adequate. Be sure to supplement your CUC with some Nori theyll really appreciate the extra food :)

Genesis

New Fish
Dec 1, 2009
Welcome!

It sounds like you've got the basics down for the tank.

Before you fill it, you should probably get an RO/DI unit, or figure out a source for it (it's probably just as easy to buy it if you have a 10g). It's one of the most important things for the success of a reef tank. Maybe convince your brother to buy one and use his water (if he lives near you).

Of course, you'll need ammonia and nitrate test kits when you start cycling. If you already have freshwater ones, they'll sometimes work--check the boxes.

Once you're cycled, the fish choices sound OK, but it's best to add only one a month.

Then, it's time to start researching the kinds of corals you want, and working on getting your calcium and alkalinity in check.

I ran a 10g for a few years, and it worked pretty well.

I do plan on purchasing my water from Walmart. Sadly I cannot use anything from my brother. He is a lesson of everything NOT to do.

As I am learning, prior to beginning, I am trying to share info. with him but so far he has put his faith in the owner of the local lfs. Sadly this owner sold him a clam and anenome along with approx. 8 fish all in the first 6 weeks of setting up his tank.

My brothers tank has standard incandescent lights which I knew were not sufficient and told him the anen. & clam could not survive. He basically blew it off and due to incorrect salinity levels wiped out the entire tank three days later.

So I want this tank to be a huge success and possibly he might decide to research or listen.

I do have the API test kits for freshwater but it specifically says freshwater so I will get the saltwater kit.

Your running a 10 gal for a few years is an inspiration.

Genesis

New Fish
Dec 1, 2009
For a tank that small just buy the water, its not going to cost that much every week and honestly it wouldnt be worth dragging the unit out for the cost it would save you. I use distilled water on my own 15G nano...does very well, or you can save some cash and run your own RO water at the machine at walmart, or even buy the green lid walmart brand gallons of water they are RO water as well.

Alot of people dont skim their nanos, which is something that I must disagree with. The idea is that it wont pull enough crud out of the water to warrent its cost. But in these nanos anything helps so I would invest in a good skimmer. Aqua C Remora Nano is probably the best skimmer out on the market right now for a tank that size. You can get them used on ebay for around $60.

I would probably cut your sand back to 10-15lbs instead of the 20lbs just to leave more water space for the inhabitants. For most live rock 15lbs would be perfectly adequate. Your choice of a pump is awesome, Koralias are excellent. Your lighting is good enough to support softies. Its probably a little lower than optimal for LPS, so I would probably just keep things like zoas, palys, mushrooms etc.

Invest in a good salt mix, I highly advocate Seachem Reef Salt. It has a high calcium concentration so you honestly probably will not have to dose. It is also totally void of phosphate and nitrate so those early days of algae blooms can be avoided. Also buy top shelf live rock, it will also help you to avoid algae issues. I bought my rock from pacificeastaquaculture.com and couldnt be happier, huge amounts of coraline algae, no pests, no nussiance algae. Also Salifert test kits are the best out there for a hobbyist level reef aquarium...definatly invest in some of those.

Another strange thing Ive noticed with alot of nano keepers is that most of them dont dose or feed their corals. Dosing vitamins and alkalinity stability is usually about all a nano will need, I like Seachem Reef Plus and Reef Carbonate. Also feeding your corals some phytoplankton or filter feeder food once or twice per week will really show some results in growth and overall health of the corals.

As to your stock, its a bit much for a 10G IMO. Especially when you factor in with displacement of rock and sand youll have around 6 gallons of water...its best to just keep 1 small fish for a 10G with a small CUC. 2-3 hermits, 2-3 Nass. snails and 2 margarita snails would be more than adequate. Be sure to supplement your CUC with some Nori theyll really appreciate the extra food :)

You are a wealth of info., this is great.

I planned on buying distilled water from Walmart, very inexpensive.

Was not planning a skimmer but will keep an open mind on it.

Will take your advice and keep the sand at 10-15 lbs. The soft corals you have listed are primarily what I have been looking at.

Checked out the live rock @ pacificeastaquaculture.com, just totally awesome, will get a quote from them, shipping from Maryland to Montana is a killer.

I was planning on using Coralife sea salt but will see if Petsmart carries Seachem. The test kit is mandatory for me, wasn't sure of a good one so thank you for Salifert.

Dosing is on my list of items to research, figured I would do that once I get an idea of what corals I really want.

Okay the one fish is a downer, really wanted a goby and a firefish, how about a very small goby? The cuc is perfect and will do.

Again, you have been a great help, thank you.

Nov 30, 2009
VA
vividaquariums.com also offers some top of the line live rock and coral. Excellent company to get livestock from :)

Coralife salt is also another good one, and it also contains a fairly high calcium level which is good for supporting healthy coral growth. I just recommend staying away from "cheap" salts like IO as alot of people have horrible algae outbreaks while using it due to it containing trace amounts of phosphate.

If you must have 2 fish in the tank consider a neon goby and the fire fish. Both are small bodied low bio producing species, with that said if you do go with 2 fish I would definatly get a good skimmer as it will help pull out alot of waste created by pushing the bioload of the tank. Reefs need exceptionally stable water factors and as close to no nitrate as you can get, it will only save you headaches down the road :)