Newbie Here ... Started a Nano Tank Day 1

Jan 21, 2010
Newbie Here ... I have no experience as of yet but have spent the past week scouring the net for information, have read many of the great threads on this forum, and have now joined the fold of reef-keepers. I just purchased a 12 gallon tank, added saltwater, three pieces of live rock that I placed in the shape of an arch, added 10 pounds of live Caribbean sand, and 4 hermit crabs to keep the place nice and tidy. I also just ordered a ReefKeeper Lite to keep control of the environment. I am now waiting for the tank to cycle before adding coral ...

Just wanted to introduce myself and am sure that I'll have a lot of questions :)

Jan 20, 2010
little rock, arkansas
Yea you will unfortunately have to forget most of what any of your lfs tell you. There are some but most are completely retarded. Just watch your water parameters and you might get them to pull through. And hey bright side is if they do make it through it should help keep it pretty clean throughout the processs. Good looking start. Though. Good luck

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
Yeah, I would agree on that. There are a few LFS people out there who know what they are talking about and wouldn't steer you the wrong way, as they are reef tank owners themselves. But the majority of them had no prior saltwater experience prior to working so they just want to sell sell sell to make the boss happy. Welcome to saltwater and like the others said, just keep an eye on your params and you will be fine. Looks like you got some nice rock anyway and your cycle might be minimal. Also, the live sand was not really necessary with live rock. Some regular substrate like aragonite would have been a better choice, but like you said, live and learn.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
not really... its basically just a scam and a waste of money.... bacteria cant really live in a sealed bag for months with just a bit of water in there with sand... its 20lb bag with sand and a gallon of water in it.