Newb to DIY CO2

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
Hey guys,

Recently I picked up a T5HO light and I will be using it on my 20 Long. I know that 2 bulbs will be overkill, so I'll just be using 1 bulb. The problem is, I would still have pretty high light and liquid carbon dosing wouldn't be enough, so I'm trying to do DIY CO2 again. Last time I tried to do DIY CO2, the yeast mixture got into my tank and made it a mess. So, I've been reading up on DIY CO2 but still don't get it. I know how to make the "simple" reactor, but I would like the more complicated parts of the project like a gas separator, a bubble counter, and a diffuser. I know I'll be using a limewood airstone for the diffuser, but I don't know how to make a bubble counter. Also, I don't know what a gas separator is. Finally, how can I prevent the mixture from spilling into the tank again?

Feb 22, 2012
australia
afetrnoon flametetra... im guessing the co2 is for the plants with the higher rate of osmosis due to your light...... i know you can order co2 cyclinders through the local pet store as well as regulators.... the co2 levels are usually maintained by the fish as sort of a balance of the small eco system at work in your tank. if any thing you should be concentrating on oxygenating the water to keep up with the fish as for example the reason for frequent water changes is often because of the dangerous levels of co2 as well as other polutants like nitrates... hopeits a help... climbingperch.
p.s. substrate is also important... i use plastic lined wet pottery clay that has been insulated with fine grade sand so the plants have something to root in...