NewB Tanks.

May 19, 2003
Visit site
Tanks look great! Not bad for your first stab at SW. I also think its awesome how you collect your own stuff. Wish I was somewhere where I could do that!

Only one comment. I see you only have 12lb. liverock in that 20g. I'm thinking, just from my reading on the subject, that you'd need more than that.

I was going to start a Nano SW in a 15G high that came with a SW lighting unit. I was told I'd need about 20lb. live rock for that which is more than you have in the 20g... Just curious.

Feb 23, 2003
Naples Fl.
www.millevolte.com
I have been slowly adding the LR as I go along. I only add about 1-2lbs a week. This allows me to take my time and pick out only the best pieces from my LFS and prevents larger amounts of die off and ammonia spikes. I will be adding some more tonight as a matter of fact.

You are right 1lb per gallon is recommended. Some add even more. I am going for a more Japanese approach and want some open spaces as opposed to the wall type reefs that are more popular here in the U.S..

I will stop adding when I reach 20lbs.

Thanks for your comments lilsilkk.

dgodwin

Large Fish
Dec 2, 2002
Buffalo, NY
www.dgodwin.com
Nice tank. I'm truly jealous that you have such a wide variety of local sources for many critters that are not always available in the trade. I would love to go and find some Ricordea, or any other cool coral or fish in my back yard :D

Feb 23, 2003
Naples Fl.
www.millevolte.com
Hey guys, thanks!!!

I was out of the hobby for a couple of years until I moved down here to Fl from NYC. It all started because of the canal in my backyard. Now I am collecting from the ocean to the 'glades. Today I noticed about a dozen baby Medusa Jellyfish in my 10G. These little critters are pretty cool to watch and not a danger to my fish. I hope I can keep some alive with Kent Micro Vert.

I will try to take some pictures if they get big enough.