New to the forums, pics of tank

Doratus

Small Fish
Sep 10, 2010
Thank you, Thank you..

Um, well, I think I'm gonna wait and see how this plant does before I jump into another one. I've added some sea salt (the real stuff with all the good minerals in it, not just aquarium salt) and as you can see I have the Co2 going into the 55g now. I just have to stay away from plants that need a lot of light and/or have a lot of little bits and I should be okay.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
you added sea salt to a freshwater system? are you trying to create an estuary environment? if not sea salt isnt really necessary... a little bit of salt can help some fish but if you put a bit too much it can hinder plant growth..

Doratus

Small Fish
Sep 10, 2010
Unrefined sea salt has many minerals and trace elements in it that are essential to the growth of plants. If you add 1 tsp of salt per 8 gallons of water it is enough to give the plants those nutrients without being so much that it hurts them or hinders their growth. Like you said, it helps the fish too. Right now the salinity is somewhere between 1.0 and 1.001 ppm. Brackish water is above 1.05 ppm which is a huge increase.

Hope that helps.