New to Goldfish

Allie

New Fish
Aug 25, 2008
NM
Hi, I have a 30g tank that was set up for tropical fish. I originally had gotten into fishkeeping with a plan of caring for goldfish, but got sidetracked by the smaller and flashier tropical schools. However, I am now interested in getting back to what I wanted, some goldfish. I know however that goldfish care is different than tropical, so I just have a few questions.
My tank currently has two danios, two pot-belly mollies, and two corydoras. I plan to add two fancy's to this at some point, and then possibly a third down the line when the tropicals pass away. I know goldfish are messy, I have an Aquaclear filter that is good for up to 50g tanks. Is this strong enough? Are there other fish that make good tankmates for goldies? Any general advice?
Thanks
- Allie

Jan 27, 2004
Nipomo CA
Goldfish are a cold water species and the other fish you listed are a warmer water tropical fish, so tank wise they would not do so well. Not saying it cant be done but your goldfish will not do so well at the higher temps needed for optimal requirements of the tropicals and your current fish would have decrease metabolism and immune response in the lower temps that your goldfish would require.

I would stick with either the tropicals you have now and add some more that you like or return them to your LFS or friend and have a goldfish tank. It will not work out well if you try and keep both.

Three fancy goldfish would probably be max for you tank, two would be better.

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
Some people keep other fish with goldies, but the very best way is to keep goldies with other goldies only. Goldfish have the ability to withstand higher temperatures required by tropicals, but they do not thrive in this environment. You will stess them and greatly reduce the length of their lives.
I agree with SeaMonkeyMiner, I would recommend only two fancies for a 30 gallon tank.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2009
Colorado
From personal experience, and depending on size, I would say that it is fine to put these fish together. I have a decently sized shubunkin in my tank of primarily gouramis, and he is as plump and happy as ever. While they ARE cold water fish, I've read often that, being as hardy as they are, are not very demanding about water temperature and my shubunkin proves it. He has gone through quite a bit and nothing has ever seemed to stress him much, so long as he always has his zucchini and food. In regards to the temperature issue, generally I let the tank water settle down to whatever it will based on the room temperature, because I do not have a heater, and that seems to be a decent middle ground for everyone (And always has been, I've been keeping fish for years and never have had a heater, aside from in a cichlid tank).

Depending on the size of the fancy little buddies you're going to add to your tank, they should get along fine with your other fish, and will almost certainly outlive them. I would suggest getting smaller ones if you haven't already indulged in these pretty little guys, so that way by the time they're larger, your other fish will be long gone. Also I would say that the filter you have sounds just fine. I have never had any problem with my shubunkin making my tank filthy, even when he was temporarily forced to live in a little tank. So good luck!

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
From personal experience, and depending on size, I would say that it is fine to put these fish together. I have a decently sized shubunkin in my tank of primarily gouramis, and he is as plump and happy as ever. While they ARE cold water fish, I've read often that, being as hardy as they are, are not very demanding about water temperature and my shubunkin proves it. He has gone through quite a bit and nothing has ever seemed to stress him much, so long as he always has his zucchini and food. In regards to the temperature issue, generally I let the tank water settle down to whatever it will based on the room temperature, because I do not have a heater, and that seems to be a decent middle ground for everyone (And always has been, I've been keeping fish for years and never have had a heater, aside from in a cichlid tank).

Depending on the size of the fancy little buddies you're going to add to your tank, they should get along fine with your other fish, and will almost certainly outlive them. I would suggest getting smaller ones if you haven't already indulged in these pretty little guys, so that way by the time they're larger, your other fish will be long gone. Also I would say that the filter you have sounds just fine. I have never had any problem with my shubunkin making my tank filthy, even when he was temporarily forced to live in a little tank. So good luck!
please do not follow this advice, it is wrong in 999 ways for proper and optimal goldfish keeping. see iggys sticky on goldfish for accurate info

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
I agree with the above post. Mollies and goldfish are generally a bad, bad idea. If your mollies are healthy and happy, they will be frisky. Frisky mollies will pick at goldfish, something about the slime on a goldfish, until it dies. Also, one of the posts mentions that their goldfish didn't make the water noticeably dirty. The 'dirty' people are referring to isn't visible, its ammonia-intense urine making the water hard for your fish to tolerate.

I have a goldfish tank and a molly tank. They are separate, healthy, and happy. Good luck:)

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
P.S: I read that danios make for good tank mates with goldfish. And they are cute too.

Why don't you hold off on the goldfish and buy a new tank just for them....like a 30 or bigger? I think you'd be glad you did so.

Also, I just read in another thread that mollies like to suck off the slimecoat of goldfish though I don't know who wrote it. I don't think it is worth the risk.

You obviously care for goldfish so setting up a home of their own would be in the best interest in the fish.

Are you going to take everyone's advice? or follow through with your plans?????

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
P.S: I read that danios make for good tank mates with goldfish. And they are cute too.
danios + goldfish = no, lol. danios are tropical, can be fin-nippy, and very active fish. in fact it's recommended that the faster goldfish like the comets and kois should not even be mixed with the fancy tails and the slower goldfish. fancys should be kept to themselves.

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
on the freshwater fish profiles it shows the same temps that are ideal for goldfish...are ideal for danios...? hmmm I was thinking like a small shoal would be compatable... like only 3 or 4. But then the nippiness!

Well this is one of the reasons why I'm sticking to strictly goldfish ...I wanna avoid all the problems.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
on the freshwater fish profiles it shows the same temps that are ideal for goldfish...are ideal for danios...? hmmm I was thinking like a small shoal would be compatable... like only 3 or 4. But then the nippiness!

Well this is one of the reasons why I'm sticking to strictly goldfish ...I wanna avoid all the problems.
I guess the temp ranges arent too far off... 52-75 for goldies, 68-80 for danios, but danios are fin nippy and they do come from cooler waters, but those waters have current and are actively flowing. goldfish do better in waters with little current, since they aren't exactly strong swimmers. in any case, goldfish are too slow for most tropical fish and will just get owned. Understand that people incorrectly mix goldfish with other fish all the time, but are usually not successful for very long. you can do things the wrong way and maybe get lucky, or you can just approach things properly and will not get nasty surprises