New tank smells like chlorine

Feb 25, 2013
Hey, everybody. Just got my first tank a few days ago (a 29g) and have been working on cycling it and stuff. After a few days of it smelling like chlorine, I decided it might be a good idea to put water conditioner in it (that's what that's for, right?). I did that only this morning. When should I stop smelling chlorine? (Yes, it's tap water.)

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Does your tap water smell like chlorine? That is odd for a tank to smell like that, unless your tap water does - and in that case, you may want to increase the amount of water conditioner you are using, and/or let it sit out for 24hrs before use.

Are you cycling with ammonia?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Chlorine is an odd smell if it isn't directly from the tap water (although, if it was directly from the tap that would be concerning to me as well I suppose if I were drinking it...). Sorry, not sure what would cause that. Did it smell like that when you first filled the tank?

Are you sure you're not smelling ammonia from the rotting shrimp?

Feb 27, 2009
The chlorine smell of tap water can increase with the temperature of the water, according to my local water company. If you are trying to do a fishless cycle, you definately should dechlorinate the water, so that the mild bleach does not kill or prevent your beneficial bacteria from growing.

Feb 25, 2013
It definitely wasn't the dead shrimp I was smelling. It smelled like an indoor swimming pool. But after a few hours of putting conditioner in it, the chlorine smell is gone and NOW I can smell the 3-day-old rotting shrimp. So all's good now. Thanks, guys.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
IMO, any large vessel of city/tap water that's fresh from the tap smells like chlorine to me (very slightly). Products like Prime are amazing in that a drop or two per gallon, and it wipes the smell out.. and the chlorine instantly.

To the OP, why did you not de-chlorinate first? Nothing is going to happen with the cycle until you dechlorinate. You never want to put chlorinated tap water in a tank unless the water or the tank is treated first.

Do you have a master test kit yet? You can't fishless cycle without one. Buy an API master test kit online or at Petsmart/co. If you go the household ammonia route, make sure it only lists ammonia on the ingredients. No perfumes, surfactants or dyes. It took many stores before I found one. Eventually I found Austin's brand household ammonia at a dollar store that was just the ticket.

What filtration do you have running? Do you have a heater? Supposedly, fishless cycling happens fastest at the mid-high 80F range and you need good filtration running so the beneficial bacteria build-up in the appropriate areas in the filter.

FWIW, it took my 29gal ~37 days for a fishless cycle to happen to a reasonable enough level for me to be comfortable in adding fish. For me, the process didn't go as text-book as all the write-ups online, but I got it done and it's working perfectly.