New Tank Possibilities

Feb 22, 2009
San Angelo, TX
My husband bought me a 75 gallon tank when we got married because aquariums are a huge passion of mine. He has made only one request though, He wants a couple/few big fish that will be impressive to look at for our home visitors. What we think that we have decided on is buying 2 juvenile Oscars and raising them up. There would be only a Raphael Catfish (4") in there with them, he is left over from my current tank. Would this work? I have been researching alot and it is pretty much a 50 50 decision on the outcome. If not what would be a good idea? We want some eventually big fish but also don't just want one fish in that HUGE (to me) tank.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
That might be a little tight, one Oscar needs 70-90 gallons depending on your water change habits. Those three fish really need at least a 125 gallon tank. You could get away with a black convicts if you get them all while they are TINY and from the same tank at the fish store but, you need to be sure you have plenty of hiding spots for them or they will fight really bad.

Feb 22, 2009
San Angelo, TX
Well one of the issues with that is the fact that I live in rural Texas. The closest fish store is in Midland 45 minutes away. I think that there is a Petsmart there but have never seen Discus there. Are the Online fish stores that deliver very reliable? Also, how many Discus could go into my tank.}?

Feb 22, 2009
San Angelo, TX
Ok, now we are thinking about a few Angel fish. We also like Gourami and Swordtails. I know these usually aren't fish to mix together but with such a large tank, I was wondering if it would work...How many Angelfish could comfortably fit in my tank?