new puffer only tank

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
i am a happy camper right now kelly in about 2 weeks ill have my babies!
YAY! Hey, did you get the biospira? If so, then tell Jay to disregard the answer to the PM I just sent him. If you have all the marine biospira you need, go ahead and add about a tablespoon and a half of the Instant Ocean per gallon to bring your salinity to at around 1.008.

If not, then like I said in the PM, start with a target salinity of 1.002 by adding about 1/2 tablespoon per gallon.

Question: If you're not going to stock the tank for a couple weeks - how are you going to keep your biofilter alive? I'd throw in a couple platties or swordtails (maybe guppies?) to keep some poo in there. Then once you are up to about 1.004 or so salinity, and are ready to add puffers, maybe move those livebearers to another tank?

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
well since we have so much work to do tonight we arnt sure if we are gonna get it set up tonight. We are gonna have a full house this weekend so idk if we are gonna get it set up then either. I still have to get decorations and all that jazz and we hit our max on fish spending til next payday. We havent really had much of a chance to sit down and do our plan of attack for this tank yet since we got the biospira and know we could get our puffers the next day.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
OH well, you've got the magical ingredient (the marine bio-spira), so you're all set :) I'd let it run a day or two before you get the puffers to tinker with the salinity & make sure the salt is fully dissolved - & then you're good to go to add your puffers. I'm so happy for you!

And a lot of instructions say to aerate your salted water for a day or so before you add it to the tank (for water changes & replacement water) but I don't do that...I mix it REALLY thoroughly with a plastic slotted spoon and make sure the water is clear before I plop it in the tank...but it only takes like 2 minutes. The Instant Ocean dissolves really quickly. I fill up the bucket - slowly sprinkle in the salt, then stir and stir and stir. But when you add it to your tank for the first time fill up, I'd let it run for a day to make sure it's all fully dissolved.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I havent read thru all this thread but I was wondering what kind of hydrometer your looking into getting, I found a refractomter advertised on one of the websites...check sears or your local autoparts store if u havent ordered one yet, it's the same tool we use to test specific gravity in batteries in vehicles. Or have Jay get one from the motorpool.

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
I havent read thru all this thread but I was wondering what kind of hydrometer your looking into getting, I found a refractomter advertised on one of the websites...check sears or your local autoparts store if u havent ordered one yet, it's the same tool we use to test specific gravity in batteries in vehicles. Or have Jay get one from the motorpool.
We got a hydrometer today at our LFS had a talk with the manager of the fishies and he got us what he needed.