new puffer only tank

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
I wanna start a tank solely for puffer fish. I have an empty 29 gallon tank not being used right now so i need to know what i need to get for that tank to get it started. I figured id start my list now so on thursday i can go shopping for these items to get the tank started and cycled. Once i have everything i need how long do i need to cycle before i can put the beautiful puffers in the tank?

****edit***** aside from the obvious heater and filter and new gravel unless there are certain heaters and filters and gravel i should have

Last edited:

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Depends on which puffers you want. There are lots of different types of puffers, some require freshwater, some require brackish water and some require freshwater. Check out Welcome to the Puffer List

On a 29 gallon tank you are pretty limited as most puffers get too big. One GSP would be ok in a 29 gallon, but they need brackish water when they are young, and full marine water as adults. Figure eight puffers are brackish water puffers and you could keep 1 or 2 in a 29 gallon tank. Dwarf puffers are freshwater but they are very tiny. You could keep about 6 of them in a 29 gallon tank, but it might be hard to find them.

Also check out www.thepufferforum.com

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
Depends on which puffers you want. There are lots of different types of puffers, some require freshwater, some require brackish water and some require freshwater. Check out Welcome to the Puffer List

On a 29 gallon tank you are pretty limited as most puffers get too big. One GSP would be ok in a 29 gallon, but they need brackish water when they are young, and full marine water as adults. Figure eight puffers are brackish water puffers and you could keep 1 or 2 in a 29 gallon tank. Dwarf puffers are freshwater but they are very tiny. You could keep about 6 of them in a 29 gallon tank, but it might be hard to find them.

Also check out www.thepufferforum.com
well the puffers i saw at my LFS were GSP and firgure 8 puffers...there was 3 they were medium sized and were in a 10 gallon tank. I really like both of those puffers so i cant figure out which one i like more oh decisions decisions!

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
ok me and jay were just talking about it and after research we determined that the puffers they have at the LFS are full grown figure 8 puffers..so i have decided i want figure 8 puffers. What do i need to get the tank up and cycling and how long do i cycle for?

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
It depends on how your cycle really. If you use the filter media from another one of your already established tanks it will cycle much faster then a normal cycle. You pretty much want to wait until your ammonia and nitrites are both 0 and the nitrates are around 5 or so. If you add pure ammonia and get that to 5ppm and it is gone in 24 hours and you have 0 nitrites too then you should be good. The time all depends on how you cycle it.

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Well, I will help her cycle with some of my media for sure. I'll probably stick some of my bio-floss in the filter. Should be able so cycle the tank rather quickly. Probably throw a few mollys in there to. My only question is, will my media pick up some salt? Will it effect my freshwater tank, or be such a small amount that the fish wont notice.

sweetpickles7

Superstar Fish
Feb 13, 2007
Central Illinois
First, i would suggest reading the sticky,im sure you already did this. When cycling like that what you want to do is add a very little amount of salt to the tank like every 2 weeks to a month, that way the bacteria can convert. I think thats what i read in the sticky.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Are the puffers in freshwater at the lfs? If so, then you will want to start them off in freshwater. Slowly add salt every week with a water change, until you get to your desired sg. Make sure you use marine salt such as Instant Ocean and not aquarium salt!!!!!

Other than your basic filter & heater, you are going to need to get a hydrometer or refractometer to measure your salinity. Puffers need lots of decorations in their tanks to help break up the lines of sight. If they can see from one side of the tank to the other, they will get bored really quickly. I put a bubble wand in my puffer tank and the puffers liked to 'ride' on the bubbles.

They also need a steady diet of snails to keep their 'beaks' worn down. I'd suggest getting a small tank to breed snails in. Every few days I would put a few snails in the tank, and I would throw in some ghost shrimp every once in a while for crunch value. These foods are very messy though, so you have to be prepared to do water changes and gravel vac about once a week.

Also, IMO mollies are not good tankmates for puffers. The mollies are way too aggressive at feeding times, and my puffers were really docile so they wouldn't get any food. I kept my puffers with bumblebee gobies, dwarf platys and olive nerite snails. Bumblebee gobies are really cute and comical, but every once in awhile one would disappear. The dwarf platies worked out great, and their babies made a nice snack for the puffers. Olive nerite snails are brackish water snails and they have a 'trapdoor' so that the puffers couldn't get to them.

Make sure you do lots of research before you get them, as they are not easy fish to keep. They are very personable though, so they are well worth the extra effort :)

Last edited:

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Well, I will help her cycle with some of my media for sure. I'll probably stick some of my bio-floss in the filter. Should be able so cycle the tank rather quickly. Probably throw a few mollys in there to. My only question is, will my media pick up some salt? Will it effect my freshwater tank, or be such a small amount that the fish wont notice.
You can put some gravel from an established tank and put it in some pantyhose (clean ones!) tie it off into a baggy and drop it in there too.

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Also, IMO mollies are not good tankmates for puffers. The mollies are way too aggressive at feeding times, and my puffers were really docile so they wouldn't get any food. I kept my puffers with bumblebee gobies, dwarf platys and olive nerite snails. Bumblebee gobies are really cute and comical, but every once in awhile one would disappear. The dwarf platies worked out great, and their babies made a nice snack for the puffers. Olive nerite snails are brackish water snails and they have a 'trapdoor' so that the puffers couldn't get to them.
lol, no I was just going to use the mollys for cycling, not for a member of the tank. It is going to be a species only tank. Puffer puffer and only puffer!

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Puffer puffer and only puffer!

More magical, eloquent words have never been spoken :D

I can barely squint to see right now (got my eyes
dilated):eek: but I just want to congratulate you on the choice of puffers! And I second everything MOsborne said...she is right on the money. If I can think of anything to add, once I get my sight back I'll chime in...but everyone here has covered most everything.

I can't wait to see pics of your new puffers!!

oh and here is my favorite brackish link:http://badmanstropicalfish.com/brackish/brackish.html

Last edited:

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
You can put some gravel from an established tank and put it in some pantyhose (clean ones!) tie it off into a baggy and drop it in there too.
I just wanted to point out, too, that freshwater bacteria is different from marine bacteria...so yes you can boost the cycle with established bacteria, but you will need to slowly convert it to marine by upping your salinity every couple weeks by .002. If you have a completely cycled freshwater tank, you can't just add enough salt to make it brackish and have the bacteria keep up since they need to convert to marine. It's likely the salt will kill all of the bacteria. But - if the puffers are currently in FW at the pet store, then you can do this with the fish in the tank rather than waiting for a couple months to get the marine bacteria converted.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Just because the lfs doesn't have them labeled as brackish, doesn't mean that they aren't brackish water fish. Lots of lfs keep figure 8's and GSP's in freshwater, even though they are not technically freshwater fish.

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
Just because the lfs doesn't have them labeled as brackish, doesn't mean that they aren't brackish water fish. Lots of lfs keep figure 8's and GSP's in freshwater, even though they are not technically freshwater fish.
i realize that this is why i said i was gonna venture my way there thursday and ask them but my husband called and they told him they are brakish