New pleco - should i worry?

Aug 17, 2009
Chicago
I just got a new Pleco about a week ago. The store had it labeled as a Red Devil Pleco. I can't find any info on it. The best I can tell from planetcatfish, is that it might be a rhino pleco.

He immediately began to suck on the glass and some of the decor along with the bit of algae there. I've noticed some marks on the driftwood and broad leafed plant indicating he's been nibbling there too. The algae wafers could be disappearing due to him or the other fish. I just threw in some shelled peas, so I'll see if he takes to them.

It seems he is eating, but he still doesn't look entirely healthy.

His belly seems to be lighter and mottled from when I first brought him home. There is a depression on the top of his head behind his eyes. He's not on the glass at the moment so I can't tell if his belly is depressed as well.

He is still active, but I want to catch anything before it gets real bad. I thought maybe it could be worms, but he is still pooping (green and brown) and I don't see anything worm-like sticking out of him. No white spots. His dorsal was a little ragged when I got him but not like fin rot.

Am I worrying over nothing? Or is there something I need to watch for or treat?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

(Tank has been up since the start of May. And is slightly brackish, but I don't know the numbers)

jingles

Medium Fish
Jan 28, 2009
Auburn, AL
A red devil might be L025, but they're really expensive. Can you post a picture of the pleco? First of all you need to start weaning your fish off the brackish water. Most all plecos are good scavengers so I'm sure if your putting food in the tank that he can find it. As for the spots, I'm not sure. It might be from the brackish water, if the salinity's too high. Depending on what type of pleco it is, it might just be breeding spots (like the pink spots on A BN Pleco) but I only think BN pleco get those. A picture would help though.

Aug 17, 2009
Chicago
Here are some photos. ... definitely not an L025.

belly.jpg

this is the best photo i could get of the belly. It looks more pale tan than what the picture shows.

sail down.jpg
side view

side view.jpg
side view - a little fuzzy, but you can see the dorsal fin.

jingles

Medium Fish
Jan 28, 2009
Auburn, AL
yea I think your right, that does look like a rhino/chocolate/alligator pleco. I think he'll be fine but I'm no expert so you might want to get some other feedback. The brackish water should clear up any bad stuff.