New Plants

LadyR

Small Fish
Apr 24, 2012
West Bountiful, Ut
Hey all, I thought I'd post a couple of pics of the new plants I added to my 26g community tank over the weekend. I was totally shocked to find the purple leaves of the one, I so need to research to figure out what they are for reference. Any help would be great. The other tall one is 3 small stocks and the couple of leaves are green with almost white patterns on the tops. It almost looks like old fashioned wallpaper, the flocked kind of stuff. This morning after a day under the lights, they are standing up much straighter. Over all I think they were cool additions!

New plant.jpg New plants Aug 12.jpg Redone aug.jpg

LadyR

Small Fish
Apr 24, 2012
West Bountiful, Ut
After some research I believe it's called a purple waffle (Hemigraphis exotica). I couldn't believe I hadn't seen it when I was at the pet store earlier in the day. Yes it was Petco, so major suprise there! We were back a couple hours later to pick one of the dogs up from getting a bath and my husband was checking out the plants and he spotted it. In person it's even a brighter purple, totally catches your eye in the tank. The other one is really cool too. It's a bright almost lime green with white in the middle of the leafs, kinda like fuzz looking. It's hard to explain, but it's got a new leaf so maybe in a couple weeks I can get a better shot of it too. Now if I hubby would let me begin work on the new 55g.......LOL!

LadyR

Small Fish
Apr 24, 2012
West Bountiful, Ut
It figures that the stuff that just adds so much color would be a problem. But for now we'll leave it and see what happens! Thanks for the website link, I've added it to my fish folder to be able to check stuff out. I'm soooo excited I've found a local guy raising true Endlers, so when the 55g is up and going I can have some in there! I think those are some of the coolest looking little fish on the planet! Ahh but the waiting is going to kill me...lol!

Feb 27, 2009
There is a plant that is illegal to have in my state that I would love to have again, it gave a lot of color (light green, dark green, pink, white, all on the same plant). But its a noxious weed and can't even be possesed legally where I live, let alone bought/sold.

LadyR

Small Fish
Apr 24, 2012
West Bountiful, Ut
So what is it and what state are you in? I'm in Utah so since we are so dry, I'm sure I don't have some of the same restrictions that other states might have. But you never know. It's totally a pain trying to find new stuff to add some color that won't get eaten by someone, won't take over the tank and will actually grow good in the conditions. But I guess that's some of the fun of having the plants, just wish I could get some of the bucks spent back again..... :)

Feb 27, 2009
Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig' is the plant's name, also called Tropic sunset. What is funny is that its not even a naturally occuring plant (its a cultivar). Photo is below. Color in that photo does not do it justice (too much light on my camera's flash). In low light, it does not show the red/pink coloration. If you look at the bottom of the stems, you can see the more white version (it was recently transplanted from a low-light tank to a higher light tank).

I'm in Texas.

Since I knew I would be tank-less during the move for a week or so, I gave away all of my stem plants and just kept those that can survive longer with no light (swords, crypts, anubias, etc.).

Last edited: